Whatever happened to....?

diaglo

Adventurer
I would like to know what happened with Harold Johnson. He helped to shape the world of Dragonlance. I'd love to interview him at some point. I don't think he's been with WotC since 2000, though. Last thing I can find credits for is the 3.0 PHB and DMG.

Harold was around well into the d02 edition.

he contributed to the coffee table book. 30 years of adventure back in 2004.

i think i saw a statement in 2006 when WotC let go a lot of guys around Xmas where harold decided he was just going to retire.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
. . . Roger Moore was mentioned in a recent thread here. He decided to change his life after being let go from WoTC. He sold his gaming collection and stopped playing or being involved in RPGs. You might see him at GenCon, but that's more for his son's benefit. (Erik Mona I think mentioned Roger was now into the model kit hobby) . . .

This news really saddens me :(

Like many players of 1E, for me, Roger was a real inspiration . . .

JollyRB

First Post
It's amazing how many 'big names' of yore can be found at Gary Con. It was like a room full of Who's Who from TSR's golden age.

I know I had to put my dice down at one point and play the part of fan boy and start collecting autographs on the Big C (One of the letter's taken from the rubble pile of the old MECCA convention center at the last GenCon in Milwaukee years ago)

Tim Kask, Tom Wham, Jim Ward, Ernie Gygax, Mike Carr, Frank Mentzer, Harold Johnson Zeb Cook.and many others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Can't wait to get back there for GaryCon II in a few months.

Erol Otus as mentioned still does artwork for KenzerCo and other companies. Just recently I stumbled upon Darlene's website (artist from the original AD&D core books). Great getting her perspective on TSR from back in the day as one of the few women. Darlene the Artist

Last I heard (August at GenCon from someone who had spoken with him recently) Trampier still wants nothing to do with the industry and refuses to discuss any notion of a Wormy TPB.

Been a few years since I've talked with JD Webster (Fineous Fingers) but last I saw/spoke to him he was doing well and still piloting planes. He'd love to do more Fingers but just doesn't have the time and feels a bit removed from the table top RPG scene.

Lester Smith twits on twitter several times a day so he always seems nearby -- even if he's not involved with gaming much.

Ken St Andre uses twitter quite a bit as well. (now that I think about it a LOT of the old timers are on twitter and fairly accessible).

I've lost track of Marc Miller the last couple of years.
I know Lou Prosperi is on facebook -- still alive and kicking.
Some of the old LUG guys are on FB as well.

Ann Dupuis heads up Grey Ghost Press (Fudge). Havent' seen her at GenCon the last two years or so but her website is still up and running. http://www.fudgerpg.com/products.html

One of the highlights of my Origins in 2008 was the opportunity to eat lunch with Frank Chadwick and hear a lot of stories from his GDW days (as well as some good Avalon Hill tales). I'd love to sit him down for an interview.

And while not really an RPG designer he DID make a card game we used to play before every game of D&D back in the day as a warm up. Douglas Malewicki who designed Flying Buffalo's Nuclear War.

Doug has a very interesting website detailing his various inventions at
http://www.canosoarus.com/

Last edited:

JollyRB

First Post
brian blume did some cartography work for white wolf in the 90s.

Yep. He did some cartography for me for Shadis. I still have a copy of his portfolio he was handing out at GenCon 95 -- he did a lot of nice work for various cities such as bus route maps and so forth. I seem to recall a couple state park maps or the like in there as well. Really nice stuff.

I really geeked out as far as having an opportunity to work with him. Haven't seen/heard from him in about 10 years.

Last edited:

Lord Xtheth

First Post
Well, this one isn't RPG related, but its close...

I've always wondered what Richard Garfield has been up to.

Edit: Well, according to Wikipedia:
Magic: The Gathering (1993), collectible card game
RoboRally (1994), board game
Vampire: The Eternal Struggle (1994), collectible card game
The Great Dalmuti (1995), card game
Netrunner (1996), collectible card game
BattleTech CCG (1996), collectible card game
Dilbert: Corporate Shuffle (1997), card game
Filthy Rich (1998), board game
Twitch (1998), card game
Star Wars Trading Card Game (2002), collectible card game
Pecking Order (2006), board game