D&D 3E/3.5 Whats a good Core 3.5 Barbarian Build? (ongoing campaign)

pawsplay

Hero
Most Boring Barbarian Build Ever
1 Weapon Focus (dwarven waraxe)
3 Power Attack
6 Extra Rage
9 Improved Critical (Dwarven waraxe)
12 Cleave
15 Lighting Reflexes
18 Iron Will

W Focus is mathematically about the best thing you do at 1st level to increase damage output. Power Attack amps up the damage you can do, and rage compensates somewhat for accuracy problems. More rage is better. More crits is better; save the enhancement bonus on your axe for extra enhancements. Cleave is better late than never. Lightning Reflexes is, for all intents and purposes, extra hit points. Iron Will, because at that level, there is no Will save you want to fail, even with dwarf and rage bonuses.

And why? Well, presumably you want to be a dwarf that destroys things with an axe. Why complicate things? With this build, you can attack one-handed or two-handed (-1 to hit from the buckler if you are wearing it), do tons of damage, and can rely on your class abilities and skills for good mobility and defenses.

radha2g

First Post
just clarifying again, I can take Feats from any book, the other guys have some of the other books, maybe more than what i think.
I also think some of the official altered core class, would be accepted, such as the feat rouge from UA. Im gonna look for an altered ranger, to see if any is worth looking.

[MENTION=58300]krupintupple[/MENTION]
you mean Reckless rage? is a nice feat +2 str,+2 con, but -2 AC

The 2 lvl in fighter is to improve my char, after all, 2 feats in two lvl in no BAB penalty is not so bad. I strongly doubt i would take more lvl just to gain a feat every 2 lvl (that was just me raging, too much blood in head perhaps? :p)

Thx for the alternative Fighter class, but I actually would like to stay in the books, i dont know... maybe cuz its my first campaign.

[MENTION=15538]pawsplay[/MENTION]

yeah i know is boring, thats why i wanted to do something else. Very hard with core class only, but i think it is doable... or at least alter it a bit with the feats from other books.
I strongly doubt i would be 18 levels in barbarian, even if it have high benefit at the end... but i dont know how long the campaign will be either.

I know i like to complicate things, but i would like to give it a personal touch to my char and hope it turns out decent :p

Fighter doesnt suck persay, it's just that a fighter IS his equipment. I'd stay straight barbarian. But your first feats should have been power attack and cleave. I'd drop the d waraxe and just rock the good old GREATAXE lol. really, as a barbarian your health is pretty much your def anyways. (if you want fast movement that is) find some other feats like others have said. check phb2 and others for better rage feats. the rouge thing is fun and all so do what you want to do, just remember that your supposed to be having fun above all else. if your not, then whats the point. get weapon focus and spec later if ever. Id just go rage feats or others. either way enjoy. being the meat tank can come off as boring to some. do you guys actually role play? or just smash through dungeons? my first guy ever was a straight up barbarian and one of the most fun characters i ever played.

radha2g

First Post
the dwarven waraxe is actually the initial weapon, havent change it yet. The extra damage from Power attack is double from a two-handed weapon (?). Maybe will get Leap attack, as far as I understand, it triples the extra damage from power attack with a two-handed weapon, with other weapon is just double. Or did the errata meant to delete the last part talking about triple damage?

I think theres a two-handed weapon mastery Feat in some of the books, right? I have to check the List of Feats.

Reckless rage sounds good.

I dont know about materials but i heard a heavy armor made of mithral (?) is treated as an medium armor, which will let me move at full speed with a good AC. It would be funny getting some other class with would let me move even faster... hehe a dwarf moving at 40 ft :p but nah

the guys in the group roleplay while exploring and in towns mostly (theres also a crazy guy in the party, in the good way, very funny). If u say something but didnt say is not roleplay, the GM rules is that your char said that, even if it wasnt ur intension. Makes some fun moments, as well of a little indifferent between PC while exploring, just like in real life would.

I dont role play much cuz i just met them and im sort of shy and quiet with people i dont know well, but im thinking to go simple on the next session... while the guys go and meet contacts for info, ill be in the bar :p (unless i can be of help) After all my char is based to survive while exploring, the rouge is the one who gets info and contacts.

I feel a little better now, i was a little mad and then disappointed a few hours ago. I was asking for two much (specially with those limitations). Im pretty sure ill see the difference in HP very soon as well as more damage output with a second attack and power attack.
And then i can call myself Korgoth!! of Barbaria!! :p nah jk

heh heh. my first character ever was a barbarian, as i said. His name was Thudd. Whever we met a huge or "scary" monster he would always ask it "mommy?" and at least you have a average int level. Thudds was 8. ...granted by 10 lvl he had a 32 str. awww. good times. ...I think i'll make a barbarian for my next game.

Dandu

First Post
My preferred feats are Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Extra Rage, Reckless Rage, and Mad Foam Rager.

I'd go Barb2/Fighter2/BarbX.

FEADIN

Explorer
the dwarven waraxe is actually the initial weapon, havent change it yet. The extra damage from Power attack is double from a two-handed weapon (?). Maybe will get Leap attack, as far as I understand, it triples the extra damage from power attack with a two-handed weapon, with other weapon is just double. Or did the errata meant to delete the last part talking about triple damage?

You have to jump at least 10 feet to gain the bonus (tripled for two hander, yes)

I think theres a two-handed weapon mastery Feat in some of the books, right? I have to check the List of Feats.

IRC Mastery feats are for fighters....

I dont know about materials but i heard a heavy armor made of mithral (?) is treated as an medium armor, which will let me move at full speed with a good AC. It would be funny getting some other class with would let me move even faster... hehe a dwarf moving at 40 ft :p but nah

Not exactly, it's still a heavy armor (needs heavy armor proficiency but some play as you say...) but has reduced penalties and weight, Mithral brestplate is good for barbarians.

Last edited:

radha2g

First Post
Wolf Totem is an alternate class and I'm not sure those are allowed.

Even if it were allowed, im already a classical Core barbarian. The class sounds good, maybe another time.

well, I think ill definitely go the lvl2 on fighter to get a faster development and more feats... If i reeeeally need other feats i might consider more.

#### Feats that most likely i'll get
(no order for now, i have a full week to this, plenty of time)

----Extra rage (already have learned it)
----Track (Sadly, someone in the party needs to have it, and im going to max survival)
----Reckless rage

#### Maybe ill get

---Power attack (I guess is necessary...)
---Leap Attack (some doubts, but cant argue the damage, but is only during a charge)
---Iron Will
---Mad Foam Rager : seems useful to survive a killing blow, paralyzing attacks and other stuff (some sort of mind control? will it work like that? that would be funny).

#### Not so sure about...

--Improved Trip, seems good but needs combat expertise... Can be better with Knock-Down... thats not 3.5, right? that may have been worth it. Could ask my DM if Knock-Down is accepted. only thing to consider is that it would be 3 feats, most likely worth it.

--Improved Grapple : grappling saved my party two times and seems ok for versatility and pinning. Needs Improved unarmed strike so is 2 feats.

--Improved Critical : Very tempting with a Greatsword. If not, maybe ill get a Greataxe cuz it sounds more kick-ass for a dwarf barbarian. :p The x3 critical is also good.

#### Just looking but doubt ill get....

-Robilar’s Gambit : your easier to hit and you take a bit more damage ... an AoO after each opponent swing, ok
-Evasive Reflexes : useful to make to run from trip, sunder, disarm... Unless the opponent has it improved with no AoO. Could also avoid a full attack with the feat above. May be good of with Spiked Chain (but needs another feat)
-Combat Reflexes : With the 2 above sounds like a good combination, but too much Feats expended perhaps.

So im in doubt with the Feats, those are the ones that caught my attention, but not sure what to get. What do you think about it? am I missing others important Feats?

Last edited:

Remove ads