What's in a name...

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
So, this week I worked (volunteered) at the election office for a local politician. I shan't say which party. I was calling people, asking for support for the man come election day. As I moved through the list I came across a surnamed spelled...

Moron. M. O. R. O. N.

They were not home, so I left a message with the Morons asking them to support the candidate, 'cause he needs the support of people like the Morons to get elected.

True story.

I wonder how they pronounce the name. Moran? Moroon?

paradox42

First Post
Good one.

I work doing address corrections at a big UPS hub in Chicagoland, and I see unfortunate names like this at least once a week. The most recent one I can recall was a guy whose surname was "Funk." My immediate thought was, "oh, I'll bet that was a bad name to have in high school!" Seriously, whether you go with music or smell, tease city.

I also once met a lady whose last name was "Bedwell." Seriously.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Rick Fabulus

Someone should fix him up with a girl named Awesome!

Some names I've encountered:

Bobby Raper once ran for Mayor in a city in which I used to live.

There is a pro football player for the Rams whose last name is Incognito.

I also know of a family who emigrated from Laos many decades ago- the guy at Ellis Island couldn't figure out the immigrant's last name, so he filled in that blank on the form "Unknown." They've been the Unknown family ever since.

There was a woman who appeared in the newspaper where I live whose first name was Asthma. (Insert "breathless" joke here.)

Also around here, there is a Dr. Karjecker...pronounced "Car Jacker." I'm sure he gets some odd looks.

When my Mom taught vocal music at a ghetto HS, she encountered a young man named Pslm Civ...pronounced "pislem siv." If you're a Christian, you'll realize that his first and middle names are a standard abbreviation for "Psalm One Hundred and Four." No pressure!

Last edited:

Merkuri

Explorer
My mother also knew someone named Justin Case.

And a long time ago there was somebody who came to the hospital where she worked named Thomas T. Thomas. Guess what his middle name was.

Merkuri

Explorer
If we're doing famous people, my favorite is race car driver Dick Trickle. :)

Why on earth would you go by "Dick" with a last name like that?

Remove ads