What's the biggest RPG product ever?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
WLD basically has no art, uses a very small font, and has small-ish margins. So it's not surprising that it is much larger in terms of word count than Ptolus

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
trancejeremy said:
WLD basically has no art, uses a very small font, and has small-ish margins. So it's not surprising that it is much larger in terms of word count than Ptolus

Yep.

Now, the argument can certainly be made that some of the WLD is redundant because it has the stat blocks for monsters under each entry. So, for example, in Section A of the WLD, there are fiendish darkmantles in many of the rooms, each of which has the identical stat block for fiendish darkmantles ender the room entry. Since the book is so big, I like that convenience, but others could (and have) argue that it makes the book larger than it needs to be and pads the word count a bit.

Though I think the discussion is on size and not usability. Different products have different niches. I think the dichotomy is fascinating though. (One's bigger; one has more words.)

Pat

First Post
Out of curiosity, I measured my biggest RPGs. I didn't use a caliper or anything particularly accurate, just a ruler flat against the table.

Three fattest books:

Talislanta 4th Edition — 1-7/16", 499 numbered pages (504 actual excluding end leafs)

The Great Pendragon Campaign — 1-1/4", 429 numbered pages (432 actual excluding end leafs)

Cult Compendium — 1-1/4" (just thinner than The Great Pendragon Campaign), 351 numbered pages (352 actual excluding end leafs)

Fattest paperback: The World of Synnibarr 2nd Edition, 477 numbered pages (488 actual, no end leafs), 1-1/16"

Widest book: Nobilis 2nd edition — 11-3/8"

Tallest book: 23rd Letter — 11-5/8"

Biggest box: Everway — 2-1/8" x 9-5/8" x 13-5/8"

I have a copy of the Monster Gift Set, which trumps all of them in both thickness and pagecount, but I didn't bother to measure it since the Core Rulebook Gift Set at 960 pages is even bigger.

Enforcer

Explorer
A Game of Thrones RPG (deluxe) is something around 570 pages if I recall correctly. It's definitely the biggest gaming anything I own (and actually I have two...#0009 and 0909).

catsclaw227

First Post
Enforcer said:
A Game of Thrones RPG (deluxe) is something around 570 pages if I recall correctly. It's definitely the biggest gaming anything I own (and actually I have two...#0009 and 0909).
And it's a gorgeous book as well.

RichGreen

Adventurer
thompgc said:
For maps there was the 1 or 2nd edition waterdeep boxed set (City System?) that had a map of the city that was split into 8 posters - thing was huge.
More recently there was the limited edition map of Ptolus in vinyl that is 70x48

Hi,

I have City System and I think that might hold the title for largest single RPG map. I could only just about fit this on the floor of my parents' living room.

Cheers

Richard

Wycen

Explorer
I've never bothered to look at the page count, but my Hero System 5th Ed, Expanded and Revised seems to rival the WLD book, but I've never set them side to side.

Remove ads