What's the biggest RPG product ever?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Voadam said:
No print on demand option? ;)

I'd hate to be ultimately responsible for the clear cutting that followed! :eek:

Voadam said:
Considering I own and use your srd pdf I guess I should have thought of it. Whether bundle pdf products count is a little bit of a definitional issue. Yours is sold as one unit, but is multiple pdfs. I'm guessing the OP is actually asking about physical products only though.

Probably interested in print products but I'd bet he's including boxed sets and such as a single product.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Voadam said:
I'm guessing the OP is actually asking about physical products only though.

Yeah - I'm more interested in what the biggest physical object (book) is - as in big coffee-table book sized hardcover bricks.

Not to derail, but to broaden the topic... This is all in thickness/page count. How about in length or width? In two different catagories, maps and text resources, what are the biggest rpg products in length/width? Most text resources are delivered in 8x11 hardcover format or smaller but there are several exceptions that I've seen, such as Nobilis which was 11x11. I'm sure there are/were larger releases.

And while battlemats can be rather large, I would limit the map catagory to preprinted maps.

thompgc

First Post
For maps there was the 1 or 2nd edition waterdeep boxed set (City System?) that had a map of the city that was split into 8 posters - thing was huge.
More recently there was the limited edition map of Ptolus in vinyl that is 70x48

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Morrus said:
Out of curiosity - what is the single biggest RPG product ever made? Ptolus is 650 pages or so, I believe? Is there anything else that size?

(I'm not counting serial products or those sold in parts - I'm thinking along the lines of a single, large book. One single product, largest number of pages.)

The reason I ask is because I'm currently organising the WotBS hardcover version, and I think it *may* be in for a shot at the title (it's well over a year away, though). We're looking at roughly 800 pages for that, give or take.

Ptolus also comes with a packet full of handouts and a CD full of files.

enrious

I think font size should count.

WLD has a lot of pages sure, but when you couple that with the tiny font and small borders and you have more product than say any of its competitors that I've seen.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
jmucchiello said:
Not to derail, but to broaden the topic... This is all in thickness/page count. How about in length or width? In two different catagories, maps and text resources, what are the biggest rpg products in length/width? Most text resources are delivered in 8x11 hardcover format or smaller but there are several exceptions that I've seen, such as Nobilis which was 11x11. I'm sure there are/were larger releases.

And while battlemats can be rather large, I would limit the map catagory to preprinted maps.
My Chessex Mondomat is 8 1/2 feet long and 4 1/2 feet wide - that's even bigger than my Ptolus vinyl map (70" x 48"). When my gf finally gets sick of my rpg habits and throws me and my gaming gear out on the street, I intend to use them as roofing...

Well, some may recall that I tried to ask a version of this question when I released Helios Rising (540 pages, btw). I'm guessing Joe Browning won't be treating as harshly as he did me--though he might have the cojones to tell you to move your own thread to the press release forum since it's clearly a thinly-veiled promotion. ;)

More to the point, I was specifically asking about setting books, and Ptolus was the largest mentioned. As for largest book all told, I believe no one came up with a counterexample to WLD.

Curious: Have you started checking out printing options. I had a bear of a time with HR finding something that could hold up and was affordable (perfect binding with a bigger gutter and double the glue).

Remove ads