• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the highest level your regular 4e game has reached?

What level has your (highest) 4e campaign reached?

• Low Heroic (1-5)

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • High Heroic (6-10)

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • Low Paragon (11-15)

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • High Paragon (16-20)

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • Low Epic (21-25)

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • High Epic (26-30)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Not played 4e

Votes: 5 4.8%

Wormwood

Adventurer
My Scales of War campaign just hit 16th---and the characters are really kicking some ass.

Which, as a DM, is *awesome* to watch.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
Quick question to all the 4e players and DMs out there: What the highest level have your 4e campaigns reached?

With the end of our last session, we had just reached 6th level. Our game is once a month, about four to five fours a session, so the pace of things is slow, but fun.

davethegame

Explorer
Group I'm running just hit 14, been playing roughly bi-weekly (with some breaks) since the game came out. I had expected to roughly reboot the campaign at every tier, but my heroic tier plot ended up spilling out to encompass all of paragon too.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Group I'm running just hit 14, been playing roughly bi-weekly (with some breaks) since the game came out. I had expected to roughly reboot the campaign at every tier, but my heroic tier plot ended up spilling out to encompass all of paragon too.

Poor design, Dave! :)

Cheers!

Lancelot

Adventurer
5 hour sessions x 1.5 sessions per week since 4e was released.

Highest campaign to date was 19th level - a 4e version of the complete original Dragonlance saga. The party TPK'ed heroically against an Aspect of Takhisis (Tiamat) after making it all the way through 'til DL 14 - Dragons of Triumph. Thirty sessions exactly.

Our first 4e campaign TPK'ed at 12th level. Our new weekly campaign is only at 3rd level, but we have a monthly-ish campaign that has reached 14th level.

As a side-note, my experience is that (using homebrew and adapted 1e/2e modules) "module speed" is only marginally impacted by the paragon tier. We can usually do 6 solid "encounters" in a 5-hour heroic-tier adventure with 4 players. 4 of those are usually combats, and 2 are major skill challenges or long roleplaying segments (e.g. 30 minutes negotiating with NPCs). At paragon level, I found that our "module speed" dropped to about 5 encounters. Usually, that involved me dropping one of the four combats. That's a significant improvement for *my group* (your mileage may vary) over 3e, where I found that we could only do 2 combats per session towards the tail-end of adventure paths like Age of Worms.

Of course, I haven't seen 4e Epic level yet... and I haven't DM'ed any of the WotC 4e modules. Most combats I design involve low-hp, high-damage creatures, and I try to use the standard DM tricks like hand-waving the closing rounds of the fight once the outcome is no longer in doubt (the monsters retreat, surrender, or "...you mop up the rest without any further difficulty").

Netherstorm

First Post
When 4e first came out, I ran a converted Shackled City campaign that hit 16th level in about 33 sessions. My converted encounters were very simple, with small rooms and little terrain, so we could often do 5 encounters in a six-hour session!

With that done, I started a Scales of War campaign at a local hobby store, where we play 3 hours a week. We've played 56 sessions and they are at 14th level. It's slow going, but the people are fun.

And I also run a converted Savage Tide campaign. We play about 4 hours a session. They're 11th level in 31 sessions.

Can't wait to get into the epic stuff, but for me it's a long way away.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
When 4e first came out, I ran a converted Shackled City campaign that hit 16th level in about 33 sessions. My converted encounters were very simple, with small rooms and little terrain, so we could often do 5 encounters in a six-hour session!

Slow. I've run 6 encounters in a three-hour session. :)

(Having fewer players helped that session...)

Cheers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads