What's the name for a large group of marching soldiers?

RangerWickett said:
Like, if you've got a thousand men stretched out over half a mile, marching in a huge group formation twenty abreast, there's a term for this. It's on the tip of my tongue and I can't think of it.

What are some possibilities?
A thousand men in US Army terms would be roughly equivalent to either a large Battalion or a small Regiment. Anything larger than a Regiment would be a Division. Larger than that would be an Army. Smaller than a Battalion puts you in a Company, and smaller than a Company would be a platoon. A platoon has squads.

Squads (3-10)
Platoon (20-50)
Company (80-250)
Battalion (~1000)
Regiment (~2-5K)
Division (~10k)
Army (~!!!)

The numbers in parentheses are not hard-and-fast. More a general guide. Very general. I've been in a company of 80 and a battalion of about 500, so I know they go that small--though that is not the norm.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
theredrobedwizard said:
Target practice for Area of Effect spells?

-TRRW
Naw, except for marching 20 abreast, these guys are prepared for a area effect spells.

1000 men twenty abreast means fifty rows. Stretched over half a mile means more than 50 feet between each row of men.

Scribble

First Post
CanadienneBacon said:
The numbers in parentheses are not hard-and-fast. More a general guide. Very general. I've been in a company of 80 and a battalion of about 500, so I know they go that small--though that is not the norm.

Also, there's that whole army of one thing... ;)

CanadienneBacon said:
A thousand men in US Army terms would be roughly equivalent to either a large Battalion or a small Regiment. Anything larger than a Regiment would be a Division. Larger than that would be an Army. Smaller than a Battalion puts you in a Company, and smaller than a Company would be a platoon. A platoon has squads.

Squads (3-10)
Platoon (20-50)
Company (80-250)
Battalion (~1000)
Regiment (~2-5K)
Division (~10k)
Army (~!!!)

[Quibble]
With two exceptions, the US Army no longer maneuvers in Regiments -- that sized maneuver unit is a Brigade (or Group for MPs/Engineers/SF) -- and hasn't since reorganization under the CARS system back in the 60s. Today's exceptions are the 2d and 3rd Cavalry Regiments. Other units still carry regimental designation, but are either training organizations, or do not actually operate as regiments (11th Armored Cav Regiment, 75th Ranger Regiment). The Marines do still use the Regiment as a maneuver formation, though.

You've also missed the Corps, usually a collection of 2+ Divisions and supporting organizations, though under the modular force either a Corps or an Army can be a direct superior organization to a Division.
[/quibble]

Olgar Shiverstone said:
[Quibble]
With two exceptions, the US Army no longer maneuvers in Regiments -- that sized maneuver unit is a Brigade (or Group for MPs/Engineers/SF) -- and hasn't since reorganization under the CARS system back in the 60s. Today's exceptions are the 2d and 3rd Cavalry Regiments. Other units still carry regimental designation, but are either training organizations, or do not actually operate as regiments (11th Armored Cav Regiment, 75th Ranger Regiment). The Marines do still use the Regiment as a maneuver formation, though.

You've also missed the Corps, usually a collection of 2+ Divisions and supporting organizations, though under the modular force either a Corps or an Army can be a direct superior organization to a Division.
[/quibble]
Correct, indeed. Most US Army Regiments are training units, a notable example being Ft. Jackson, South Carolina, one site among many where the US Army conducts basic training. Functional operating "Regiments" are commonly denoted Brigades. With regard to D&D, I prefer the historical terminology for some of these components--regiment being one such term. I also like to include, as you mention above, Cavalry.

Remove ads