• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the name for a large group of marching soldiers?

Switchblade

First Post
As if Leadership wasn't abusive enought.

If your GM is really gulible you might try pointing out the first cohort was typically twice the number of the rest.

S'mon

Legend
Switchblade said:
Time for my pedantic 2 pennies worth. If you are taking the Roman naming convention 1000 is closer to a cohort that a legion (approx 10000) as a cohort is 6 - 8 centuries. Unless you are talking about the manipular legion.

From what I recall a century typically had a fighting strength around 60, giving around 360 men in a cohort. A legion thus numbered 3600 or so legionaries, but this would be boosted by auxiliary units.

Switchblade

First Post
Stop being so pedantic :)

It depended on the era, it changed quite a lot. 1000 was, strickly speaking, for auxilary units.

Cohorts of the legion had a fighting strenght of 600 legionares of 6 centuries of 80 men, plus riders, engineers etc making the actual marching size far higher. I think there was some reform that reduced this but I don't think it went as low as that. The first century in each cohort was double strenght and the first cohort in each legion was larger, though I'm not sure off the top of my noggin how many more centuries it actuially had.

Though as I don't have all my history books with me to check in work I may be wrong, shocking as that may be :)

Yeah, all those edition changes, every 50 or 60 years! Oy! Way too fast. OR&R (Original Romulus & Remus, 753 BC) is the one true Rome. All others are pale imitations.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Hobo said:
Great. Now I'm gonna be singing "Our House... in the middle of the street" in my head all day long. :\

Doesn't everybody have this song playing in their head all day anyway?

or maybe Baggy Trousers

Remove ads