• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite CRPG?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I have an older computer, so I don't know if some of the newer games would work well with me.

I absolutely love Baldur's Gate II, but I want to try something a little different.

What CRPG would you recommend, while still in a fantasy type setting?

MythosaAkira

Explorer
I would recommend Morrowind, if you like detailed settings. Neverwinter Nights isn't bad, though if you have an older computer, I'm not sure how well it would perform. Dungeon Siege is pretty fun, though it's more of an "action" RPG than a standard RPG (more in the style of Diablo).

Dark Jezter

First Post
Baldur's Gate II is my favorite single-player RPG of all time, but since you've already played that one, you might want to check out

Neverwinter Nights: Endless customizability combined with incredible multiplayer support makes this one of my favorite games ever. Make sure that you pick up the Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark expansion packs (or just get the Neverwinter Nights Platinum Edition).

Icewind Dale: This game uses the same engine as the Baldur's Gate games and has nearly identical gameplay, but focuses less on story and more on combat. Worth checking out if you're a Baldur's Gate fan.

Icewind Dale II: Like Icewind Dale, except uses the 3rd edition rules. This game will keep you entertained for a while.

The Temple of Elemental Evil: The highlight of this game is its very faithful adaptation of the 3.5e rules, and the combat system is great. The game does suffer from lots of bugs, however, so you'll definately want to download the patches.

Diablo II: Definately one of the more action-oriented RPGs out there, but it's immensely fun (especially when playing multiplayer with friends) and features jaw-dropping FMV sequences.

Last edited:

Phineas Crow

First Post
Here are my choices from the recently released.

Arx Fatalis: A first person adventure RPG set in a dungeon world. I consider it one of the better CRPG games that I've played in awhile.

Sacred: A diablo style action RPG. Very fun to play with a massive world to explore. Patching is a must as the game is rather buggy out of the box, but now days what game isn't?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
All time favorites? Fallout, Fallout 2, and Arcanum.

The Auld Grump, many a happy hour wasted...

*EDIT* And much of the Ultima series, pretty much every thing after 3 but before 10.

Last edited:

SteelDraco

First Post
There is no better CRPG than Planescape: Torment. That statement gets no addendums, no qualifiers, no modifiers. It is the best you're going to find, bar none.

Other good ones include Arcanum (steampunk and magic - lots of different characters you can play, and a good story with lots of fun side quests), the Fallout series (post-apocalyptic, very engaging), and Morrowind (hugely explorable world, and the spell customization is neat).

NWN is a great engine, but I was never really all that sold on the campaigns that come with it. Undrentide is the best of them, and it's worth playing through. The game is worth it just for the customizability - any kind of module or customization you might want is available at http://nwvault.ign.com/

Sado

First Post
krunchyfrogg said:
I have an older computer, so I don't know if some of the newer games would work well with me.

I absolutely love Baldur's Gate II, but I want to try something a little different.

What CRPG would you recommend, while still in a fantasy type setting?

How old is your computer? What are the specs? Some of the games mentioned here don't run too well on older machines.

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
I keep coming back to Diablo 2 after three(?) years. That's probably the highest longevity of any game I've played. Not necessarily a true RPG, it still fills that niche for me as a nice counterpoint to our weekly tabletop sessions.

Daggerfall was much fun to just play. I never finished it, but it held a lot of my attension. Having just picked up Morrowind, I expect it to be at least equal, if not superior, to it's predecessor from what I've seen. Battlespire is in the same family of games, and has multiplayer support, but it's more action/Diablo-esque than the other two.

I wasn't really drawn into Baldur's Gate. It honestly bored me more than a little. I keep hearing good things about it and reinstalling it, but it just doesn't float my boat. For that reason, I've stayed away from related games.

I finished Dungeon Seige and generally enjoyed it. I am glad, though, that I borrowed it from a friend, rather than dropping my own $50. I have no real interest in replaying it.

Despite its flaws, I found Temple of Elemental Evil to be quite a bit of fun. You'll have to be willing to deal with some bugs (some are major), but they are somewhat reduced by installing the patch -- especially the latest one, by my understanding.

For reference, I've got a AMD Athlon 1Ghz machine with an above average, but not "serious", video card. If you can match that with your old machine, any of the above will run peachy (okay ToEE will run slowly, but that isn't really the fault of the computer). Daggerfall and Battlespire do seem to have compatibility issues with Win XP, though.

My top picks would probably be Diablo 2 or Morrowind, in that order. If your computer is a P2 or lower equivalent, I'd probably recommend Daggerfall or Battlespire.

Remove ads