• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite Mass Combat system?

blargney the second said:
Do you want the players in control of parts of the army (wargame style) or in control of only their characters (RP style)? If it's the latter, I've heard a number of people say they enjoy the Heroes of Battle system for big battles. Basically you set the battlefield up as encounters, and each one will go a given way unless the PCs interact with it. If they do, the outcome of their actions influences how subsequent events transpire. It's a simple concept, but pretty nifty!

-blarg
I'm probably going for a mixture of the two, actually; one of my characters has a pretty expansive back story about being a military commander (and has the skillset to prove it) so I want to give him the chance to push the little units around on the battle map :). From a personal taste standpoint, however, Heroes of Battle sounds like the kind of system that I would enjoy playing/DMing, so I might try to kludge the two together :).

I rather liked Bad Axe's Mass Combat system. It was quick and pretty easy, but still accomodated PC interactions and some strategy/tactics without getting too in depth. And it's cheap, too.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
I don't know if it'll help, but, there's a Quick and Dirty DM article in Knowledge Arcana issue 6 that's about dealing with mass combat in an abbreviated way (that is, avoiding complex rule sets and the like). See my sig if you're interested.

Dave

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Huw said:
Seconded! It fits on a single page as well, IIRC.

Thirded. I like how scalable and simple it is, and how it took into account magic, immunities etc, and yet still had some room for some rock, paper, scisssos style strategies.

Garnfellow

Explorer
NCSUCodeMonkey said:
Anybody have any idea how close this [Representative Battles system] is to the system in Black Company? I've already dismissed the system in BCCS as being pretty clunky, although I did like the idea, if not the implementation, of having multiple "scales" of combat going on simultaneously.

Totally different thing.

Remove ads