• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite PHB spell?

Napftor

Explorer
Two weeks ago, I began writing a weekly pdf series entitled Behind the Spells. You can read more about it in this thread: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=156203

Anywho, instead of trying to guess what the spells are most dog-eared in people's PHBs (to help plan the next few installments of the series), I thought I'd come to the best source of gamers I know--you guys and gals. As an informal poll, I'm asking what your absolute favorite spell is (arcane or divine). Feel free to elaborate if the mood strikes you.

Edit: Contest ended.

Last edited:

arwenarrowny

First Post
Personally, I've always been partial to searing light, due to the fact that it is a very thematic spell (smiting undead) that is still useful against nearly any foe.

DragonTurtle

First Post
How about Mage Armor, as it is one of those spells that is much needed at early levels, yet it doesn't scale well at high levels. The creator of this spell would have had to been high enough level to not need the spell, so why did he create it?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
For me, it's probably the spell shatter.

While it's good for breaking small objects or damaging crystal creatures, the real place where this spell shines is in how it can break any single nonmagical item of any composition (at up to ten lbs./caster level). That's incredibly useful, especially at the lower levels. Is there a lock your rogue just can't pick? Shatter it. Is the BBEG's adamantine greataxe killing your fighter? Shatter it. Is the orc army about to follow you across the rickety bridge? Shatter it.

The spell has a million uses when you realize it can basically destroy anything.

Last edited:

Corsair

First Post
Glitterdust! Glitterdust! Glitterdust! Glitterdust! Glitterdust! Glitterdust!

It's a will save which can take down a big scary low-will save bruiser by blinding them temporarily, and doubles as an anti-invisibility spell. No need to blindness/deafness or see invisibility!

Plus it looks cool.

***POOF***

maggot

First Post
Divine Favor. Even with the errata to +3 maximum, I love it. It has a duration of one minute exactly so no matter how high a level you are, it will probably only last one combat, and maybe not even all of that. And it is useful for almost all levels I'm likely to play.

Steverooo

First Post
Alzrius said:
For me, it's probably the spell shatter.

While it's good for breaking small objects or damaging crystal creatures, the real place where this spell shines is in how it can break any single nonmagical item of any composition (at up to ten lbs./caster level). That's incredibly useful, especially at the lower levels. Is there a lock your rogue just can't pick? Shatter it. Is the BBEG's adamantine greataxe killing your fighter? Shatter it. Is the orc army about to follow you across the rickety bridge? Shatter it.

The spell has a million uses when you realize it can basically destroy anything.

And as I have repeatedly stated, now apply this to the Cleric's (Un-)Holy Symbol... Shatter that, and any spell they have becomes useless. They can still fight, as a lower-level Fighter with worse weaponry, but... ;)

lgburton

First Post
Spiritual weapon.

it's an extra attack for any cleric who is willing to spend the time directing it where needed. usually i just direct the spell against the biggest nasty, and then continue with other clerical duties.

Remove ads