• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your Ptolus number?

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
GeoFFields said:
For those of you that have gotten to peruse it: was it worth the money?

Everything I've skimmed so far is a thumbs-up from me. It's a MASSIVE book, though. I almost think I have to re-examine how I approach a gaming product just to figure out how to best use this thing. Luckily, I'm not doing a Ptolus campaign anytime soon, so I can take my time. I also think there's plenty of stuff in here I can use for my own homebrew game.

Einan

First Post
I am #797. I am Joe's Overexcited Colon.

I got this last night and had enough time to thumb through it before my gaming group arrived to play. It's very. Very. Very. Pretty. My wife, who is NOT a gamer, even looked at it and went Oooo. The cover is raised and textured, the pages are full color and glossy and the extras are chock full of goodness. Is it worth $120?

Hells yes. It's bigger than most textbooks I bought in college and half the price. And likely to bring much, much more enjoyment to me than they did.

This is not a "game book." Your mamby pamby Player's Handbook is a "game book." This is a textbook on how to run a memorable campaign in a city where everything makes sense. This is a Game Tome.

Einan
Drooling on his Ptolus book

JoeGKushner

First Post
GeoFFields said:
For those of you that have gotten to peruse it: was it worth the money?

Very hard to quantify.

The book is impressive.

Game mechanics are mainly from other releases. Technology? From the web enhancement. Some of the demons? From Book of EM III. Knight of the Pale? From B of HM. Knight of the Cord? Book of EMII. Game mecahnics don't take up a huge portion of the book though, so it's not quite that big a deal.

Have to continue reading after Gen Con but I think this book is the one that tells me I'm getting to be too picky and need to just start using the stuff I have more instead of buying more books.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
catsclaw227 said:
Now see.... :) Wasn't that worth the wait? We both ordered really early. I got #15.

Yes. :)

I'm curious who got the lowest number outside of Monte's group. I'll tip my hat to him or her. :cool:

MojoGM

First Post
# 395! Got mine today.

Actually, Fed Ex tried to deliver it yesterday, but nobody was home. But I signed the little slip, left it on the door, and came home to a wonderous prize.

Although the edges got a little dinged, it otherwise arrived fine. I would have probably done that putting it in the bookshelf.

Was it worth it? Well, I've only flipped through it (about to sit down and read it more throughly) but I'd say yes. Just a cursory glance showed me TONS of cool stuff, and the cross-indexing seems to be top-notch.

When I first heard about this, I planned to put other games on hiatus and run a Ptolus game. Looking at the product I see I made the right choice.

Can't wait to run a game in this place.

Ok, I'm off to watch the Sox game and delve into this thing!

Remove ads