• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your runner up D&D setting?

schroederlance

First Post
Excluded: Forgotten Realms

Runner Up: Many depending on my mood that week: Ptolus, Freeport, and Planescape.
After that its a close run between Birthright, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, or Wilderlands. Eberron is still up in the air for me, some days I like it, some days I think it is too over the top.

I am currently preparing to run the new Pathfinder Chronicles adventures from Paizo, and the world looks good so far. If the setting continues to impress me down the road, it will become a contender for first place in my book.

Psion

Adventurer
Excluded: Planescape. (Like Jeff Wilder and Greyhawk, I've accepted this will never see meaningful, faithful support again.)
Alternate: Scarred Lands.

I only run homebrew, but Iron Kingdoms is my favorite published setting. Eberron would be my runner up.

Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Scarred Lands, Kalamar, Planescape, Freeport and a few others also get honorable mentions as settings that have elements I really like, but also a few that I don't or that they're lacking in some details, so they could conceivably be run, but not without either some modification or addition.

Probably Eberron, albeit probably VERY tweaked as well. First choice would be Wilderlands, and second would be homebrew of some kind (but that's ruled out). I'd say Realms but I made a personal vow to NEVER run the Realms again for various reasons.

grey580

First Post
Excluded: Arcanis
Runner up: FR

Arcanis is one of my favs right now.
I stopped playing LG altogether. I didn't like the way the campaign put people at each others throats.
And I picked up playing LA.
Blackmoor isn't too bad but I haven't played it too much.
FR was my first living setting. And I pretty much liked it alot.
but Arcanis is now my fav.

AuranAlchemist

First Post
I'm a fan of having shades of grey and powers being in upheaval due to player actions.
And no campaign I've played of has more of that than Arcanis.
So that's my top choice.

Second would have to be blackmoor. Since it has so many options for players to create a character, and still having a way to easily connect with the story.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads