• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whedon off Wonder Woman

Darrell

First Post
Klaus said:
But the best thing Perez did was bring to the fore the mythological element of Wonder Woman. Aside from Ares, WW's rogues gallery is pretty thin:
- Cheetah
- Giganta
- Doctor Psycho
- Silver Swan
- Circe

Cheetah is, as far as I'm concerned, the best choice for her initial foe--especially if they use the 'animalistic spirit possessing a willing host' angle from the Perez run...as long as they don't do a retread of a previously-published story, that is.

I wouldn't mind Dr. Psycho or Silver Swan, and Giganta might be interesting if they used the odd bit from Alex Ross' Justice comics, where she seems to start reverting to gorilla form when she attacks someone.

Circe, however, is just an Ancient Greek sorceress brought into the modern era, so I'd just as soon not see it.

Regards,
Darrell

Darrell

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Nope. Gotta have straps. Otherwise, cast Madonna to save wardrobe cost. :p

Agree to disagree, then. Personally, I'd prefer it without straps. :D Actually, come to think of it, I'd prefer it without the top. Or the bottom. Just boots n' bracelets. Whole diff'rent kinda movie. :]

Ranger REG said:
Those two are a lot easier and have been accepted by the mainstream, though many have worried prior to Burton's Batman that it will be as campy as the Adam West TV version.

I tend to think WW is pretty much as iconic as Superman and Batman. I believe she'll have the name recognition to reach the mainstream audiences. Well, just as long as they don't go down a Catwoman/Elektra road.

Ranger REG said:
That's why I ask, what direction will Wonder Woman take that would make the audience flock to see it and make $40 million on the opening weekend (something that Nicolas Cage's Ghost Rider did)?

I think name recognition and a top-flight ad campaign could do it. Lasting box office draw over the first month or so, though? I dunno. Then it'd be up to how good or bad the movie actually was.

Regards,
Darrell

Ranger REG

Explorer
Darrell said:
I think name recognition and a top-flight ad campaign could do it. Lasting box office draw over the first month or so, though? I dunno. Then it'd be up to how good or bad the movie actually was.
If you rely on just name recognition alone, then it'd be like WotC having the excuse to put out bad and/or irrelevant books with D&D label on it. :]

Bad example. I've seen gullible D&D fans buying them anyway.

Darrell

First Post
Ranger REG said:
If you rely on just name recognition alone, then it'd be like WotC having the excuse to put out bad and/or irrelevant books with D&D label on it. :]

Bad example. I've seen gullible D&D fans buying them anyway.

Yep. :) And to be fair, you're question was about what it would take to make the audience flock to see Wonder Woman and have it make a mint on the opening weekend, not about the movie's actual quality.

I still think WW has the name recognition to pull that off (especially pointing to Ghost Rider as an example. The GR character isn't even remotely as well-known or long-lived as WW.

Granted, GR has the flaming skull and motorcycle imagery and all, but it also has an over-the-hill Nic Cage doing his patented god-awful Elvis impression.

Regards,
Darrell

Ranger REG

Explorer
Darrell said:
Yep. :) And to be fair, you're question was about what it would take to make the audience flock to see Wonder Woman and have it make a mint on the opening weekend, not about the movie's actual quality.

I still think WW has the name recognition to pull that off (especially pointing to Ghost Rider as an example. The GR character isn't even remotely as well-known or long-lived as WW.
Yeah, but it has Nicolas Cage and Eva Mendes. ;)

Of course, does that also means that comic-book fans make worse actors as a D&D gamer make worse director?

Hehehe. :]

Remove ads