• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

Mercurius

Legend
The books do take place in the future of our world, after a couple of apocalypses, both nuclear and magical.

The overall setting goes for more of an 18th century, "Enlightenment" era vibe than Medieval, socially and technologically.
Yeah, I know - and it hinted at those qualities, although not (yet) the Enlightenment era.
Oh yeah. I think it's actually the first tv series to actually capture some of the look and feel of fantasy art.

The closest equivalent I can think of is the way the Lord of the Rings movies built on existing Tolkien art.
Yeah, although I suppose Darrell Sweet was the iconic Wheel of Time artist and it didn't feel drawn form his art at all (thankfully, imo).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I see where they are going with that, but that just might make it worse. The change feels like Brandon Sanderson more than Robert Jordan.
So I haven’t watched yet, but I also don’t care about spoilers at all.

This worries me. Faile is one of my wife’s favorite characters, and Perrin’s story overall is pretty much the most important to me as a reader. Messing with that…really worries me.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

This worries me. Faile is one of my wife’s favorite characters, and Perrin’s story overall is pretty much the most important to me as a reader. Messing with that…really worries me.
Yeah. I liked his story a lot as well. His wife dies, so it leaves it open for him to meet and marry Faile, but I still don't get why they gave him this wife in the first place. He also seems to have left his axe behind, and that had story significance as well.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Yeah, haven't seen it yet, either, but that's a concerning development.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah. I liked his story a lot as well. His wife dies, so it leaves it open for him to meet and marry Faile, but I still don't get why they gave him this wife in the first place. He also seems to have left his axe behind, and that had story significance as well.
It seems that they want to set up Perrin's later angst, but that suggest to me that the writers don't adequately grasp the tremendous PTSD Perrin went through after book 4, which Jordan clearly did as a Vietnam vet.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I'm actually liking Rand a good deal so far. Where he's a bit of a prat it's understandable to me (his feelings are hurt). His characterization here is an improvement over the books to me. Feels more like a person and less like a Mary Sue.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Oh jeez. Why on earth have him leave the axe…

Man I really hope they’ve got a solid plan, there.

Remove ads