• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

TheSword

Legend
So rewatched all three, and I was definitely harsh. I think I’ve reset me expectations.

The ferry scene was great. The Myrdraal is really well done.

Also loved the scene where Egwene touches the true source for the first time.

Rand isn’t as whiny as I thought he was. His accent is a bit weird but I think it will grow on me. [Edit. just realized he’s Dutch!]

I think a lot of things that don’t come out in the first three episodes, like Rand getting the sword might come out in flash back.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So rewatched all three, and I was definitely harsh. I think I’ve reset me expectations.

The ferry scene was great. The Myrdraal is really well done.

Also loved the scene where Egwene touches the true source for the first time.

Rand isn’t as whiny as I thought he was. His accent is a bit weird but I think it will grow on me.

I think a lot of things that don’t come out in the first three episodes, like Rand getting the sword might come out in flash back.
Yeah. When I watched it for the second time I thought Rand was less whiny as well. And I like both Moiraine and Lan even more. I think those are my two favorite characters, which is probably not good seeing as they are not main characters.

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Yeah. When I watched it for the second time I thought Rand was less whiny as well. And I like both Moiraine and Lan even more. I think those are my two favorite characters, which is probably not good seeing as they are not main characters.

IMO Rosamund Pike does as good a job as could possibly be hoped for with Moraine. it's not catching lightning in a bottle like GoT did with Peter Dinklage but (again IMO) she's a great fit for the role.

As for everything else, the show did just enough for me to keep watching - I may watch again to see if it's better a 2nd time.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I re-watched and the last time Perrin has the axe is in the Two Rivers when his wife dies. Maybe they will give him another one later.
I…just watched up to that point. I don’t know if I’ll keep watching.

It’s like they want to front load the major character developments for the main characters, and decided Perrin needs to leave the Two Rivers already having PTSD.

idk. We stopped the show and turned it off just after he accidentally kills his wife. It just…I can’t wrap my head around why the hell they thought this was a good idea. I don’t even understand how people are watching past that scene, tbh. Why bother?

Honestly between this and Matt’s family being used to make Matt a desperate jerk right from the jump, nearly all my excitement for the show is dead.

My wife wants to try to keep watching tomorrow. I will probably join her, but I’m not holding my breath that the show will be able to bring me back in.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I…just watched up to that point. I don’t know if I’ll keep watching.

It’s like they want to front load the major character developments for the main characters, and decided Perrin needs to leave the Two Rivers already having PTSD.

idk. We stopped the show and turned it off just after he accidentally kills his wife. It just…I can’t wrap my head around why the hell they thought this was a good idea. I don’t even understand how people are watching past that scene, tbh. Why bother?

Honestly between this and Matt’s family being used to make Matt a desperate jerk right from the jump, nearly all my excitement for the show is dead.

My wife wants to try to keep watching tomorrow. I will probably join her, but I’m not holding my breath that the show will be able to bring me back in.
The second episode is better than the first and the third better than the second. I'm going to keep going, but I was definitely not happy with the first half of episode 1.

We just started watching. My spouse is struggling with it a bit -- very dark in the nighttime scenes, and the sound balance feels a bit off. She is having a hard time understanding the dialogue (part volume related to background music, part accents) so I'm having to repeat a lot of dialog.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
We just started watching. My spouse is struggling with it a bit -- very dark in the nighttime scenes, and the sound balance feels a bit off. She is having a hard time understanding the dialogue (part volume related to background music, part accents) so I'm having to repeat a lot of dialog.
Yeah. I had that issue with episode 1 as well. Episodes 2 and 3 were easier to understand.

TheSword

Legend
I think part of it, is picking up their accents.

Incidentally don’t forget they have advanced everyone’s ages. It’s pretty plausible that one of them would have married.

Perrins character was always strong and savage in combat. In the books it makes clear that he’s gentle and soft spoken by choice because he’s scared he’ll hurt someone. Now we have a reason why. I’m ok with that.

I’m just going to stop pinning my expectations on the order of things in the books. It’s only going to lead to disappointment.

Yeah, for anyone struggling with Episode 1, just keep watching, the next two are each better than the one before.

They were trying to squeeze too much into that first episode, which meant visual shortcuts which may seem questionable to those who have read the books. I still liked it for the most part, but it's definitely the weakest of the three. And from what those who have previewed later episodes have said elsewhere (Brandon Sanderson has been posting to various subreddits on the matter, for example), the episodes will continue to get better, with episode 6 apparently being exceptional.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The second episode is better than the first and the third better than the second. I'm going to keep going, but I was definitely not happy with the first half of episode 1.
Oh I was t struggling with or bouncing off the episode at all except for Matt being whatever this Matt is, and then the Perrin moment.

The visuals are spot on, the casting is excellent, I love the age up stuff, the town itself looks perfect and the costuming is lovely (especially Moraine), the trollocs and fade are perfect, the red Aes Sedai are perfectly hate-able, Rand reminds of of Anakin had been directed and written well in the Star Wars prequels, Tam fighting the trolloc was cheer-worthy.

As was Perrin and his badass wife fighting them in the smithy.

and then. 🤷‍♂️

Im not sure how even more well made episodes will make me not angry about that choice that they made.

Remove ads