• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wheel of Time November Launch. The next GOT or the next Shannara Chronicles?

pming

Legend
Hiya!
They accidentally released a Moiraine trailer in Germany similar to the one I posted above but a wider shot. It had a heavily shadowed trollock in the background which was bulky and massive.

If you stopped at book 2/3 you probably missed how Jordan turns all those gender expectations on their head with the Aiel. In fact they totally destroy the concept of the superiority of western ‘civilized’ superiority, with an extremely sophisticated culture. The aiel also have a couple of great plot arcs that makes them very interesting characters psychologically.

Cool! Looks like I'm in for some surprises then! :)
It's on my watch-list for sure at any rate...unless something horrible happens, of course.
Thanks for the update.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Nynaeve quickly became my favorite character of the series. She's a character that grew and developed while still keeping her internal compass of right and wrong throughout the series, in the face of world-shattering events. I am looking forward to seeing her come to life in the series.

Nynaeve's ride is really good, but I did spend a decent amount of time wishing that her story would at some point become about her. Egwene...oh man I loved her by the end. Can't really say anything more without spoilers.

I had a Vampire the Masquerade character in the early 90s named John W. Boh, after him. After the three prior books of Allanon being a jerk, his initial skepticism of the druids was understandable!
Scions is my favorite Shannara story by far. Walker Boh is cool.

I remember really liking Elfstones, but I’ve never reread it, so…grain of salt.

TheSword

Legend
I think one of the things I love about this series is that there is a large cast of key characters, Moiraine, Lan, Rand, Perrin, Matt, Egwene, Nyneave, Thom etc etc. but few seem superfluous. Every single one of them gets to do some things that are awesome, heroic even in a way that totally validates their character. Some of the awesome moments are spine tingling in their awesomeness. Particularly because of the backdrop and world building around it.

I also love from a fantasy point of view how Matt and Perrin are awesome characters that hold their own… particularly towards the end with the others even though they aren’t aes sedai. “Carai an caldazar, carai an ellisande! al ellisande! / “howls filled the night, howls filled with anger and fear. ‘We come’”

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Nynaeve quickly became my favorite character of the series. She's a character that grew and developed while still keeping her internal compass of right and wrong throughout the series, in the face of world-shattering events. I am looking forward to seeing her come to life in the series.

I had a Vampire the Masquerade character in the early 90s named John W. Boh, after him. After the three prior books of Allanon being a jerk, his initial skepticism of the druids was understandable!
Yes!
I think one of the things I love about this series is that there is a large cast of key characters, Moiraine, Lan, Rand, Perrin, Matt, Egwene, Nyneave, Thom etc etc. but few seem superfluous. Every single one of them gets to do some things that are awesome, heroic even in a way that totally validates their character. Some of the awesome moments are spine tingling in their awesomeness. Particularly because of the backdrop and world building around it.

I also love from a fantasy point of view how Matt and Perrin are awesome characters that hold their own… particularly towards the end with the others even though they aren’t aes sendai. “carai an caldazar, carai an ellisande! al ellisande! / “howls filled the night, howls filled with anger and fear. ‘We come’”
All of this.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
For my wife, it was the egregiously common use of "damn" as an exclamation, intensifier, etc. She isn't against swearing at all, it was just like...a lot.

I tend not to notice stuff like that, which probably helps me enjoy Brooks books more.

Of course, my favorite of his books are the two Running With The Demons books.
I do recall feeling the Magic Kingdom book would be a cool movie, with the right actor choices.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nynaeve quickly became my favorite character of the series. She's a character that grew and developed while still keeping her internal compass of right and wrong throughout the series, in the face of world-shattering events. I am looking forward to seeing her come to life in the
I never understood what some people hated about Nynaeve, because because waswas one of my favorites from the word go.

I’ve just realized it was this series that I read, not the Shannara series. I don’t remember why I read it, because I wasn’t a fan of “person from the modern real world enters a medieval fantasy world” genre, and all I really remember is the whole “tendrils of mist” thing. I think that might be Terry’s favorite descriptor. (EDIT: Yep. I just googled “Terry Brooks” and “tendrils of mist” and a whole slew of his books from multiple series popped up!)
Yeah, the smoke machine is never off at the Brooks household.

Remove ads