• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wheel of Time November Launch. The next GOT or the next Shannara Chronicles?

pukunui

Legend
Definitely think the Magic Kingdom books had stronger worldbuilding and characters.
I’ve just realized it was this series that I read, not the Shannara series. I don’t remember why I read it, because I wasn’t a fan of “person from the modern real world enters a medieval fantasy world” genre, and all I really remember is the whole “tendrils of mist” thing. I think that might be Terry’s favorite descriptor. (EDIT: Yep. I just googled “Terry Brooks” and “tendrils of mist” and a whole slew of his books from multiple series popped up!)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I’ve just realized it was this series that I read, not the Shannara series. I don’t remember why I read it, because I wasn’t a fan of “person from the modern real world enters a medieval fantasy world” genre, and all I really remember is the whole “tendrils of mist” thing. I think that might be Terry’s favorite descriptor. (EDIT: Yep. I just googled “Terry Brooks” and “tendrils of mist” and a whole slew of his books from multiple series popped up!)
For my wife, it was the egregiously common use of "damn" as an exclamation, intensifier, etc. She isn't against swearing at all, it was just like...a lot.

I tend not to notice stuff like that, which probably helps me enjoy Brooks books more.

Of course, my favorite of his books are the two Running With The Demons books.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Re: Brooks

Sword is a tough read, and Elfstones isn't a ton better. By Wishsong he's really found his footing, and the Heritage quadrology is pretty excellent, with the middle two books especially bring tight, tense reads (Druid & Elf Queen).

I moved on to other series by the time Shannara continued, so I can't speak to any books beyond that

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Re: Wheel of Time show

I think there's plenty reason to be optimistic. Rosamund Pike's still riding the Gone Girl money and prestige and wouldn't likely take the jump to the small screen without good reason. If nothing else she's going to be incredibly awesome to watch, as always

Zardnaar

Legend

Sword is a tough read, and Elfstones isn't a ton better. By Wishsong he's really found his footing, and the Heritage quadrology is pretty excellent, with the middle two books especially bring tight, tense reads (Druid & Elf Queen).

I moved on to other series by the time Shannara continued, so I can't speak to any books beyond that

Yeah this is how I found the books as well. Druid was so sad.

Didn't read Jerle Shannara or beyond.

Favorite fantasy in the 90s was the Wurts/Feist Empire trilogy, Feists Serpentwar Saga and the Elenium.

Scions of Shannara probably next.

doctorbadwolf

Yeah this is how I found the books as well. Druid was so sad.

Didn't read Jerle Shannara or beyond.

Favorite fantasy in the 90s was the Wurts/Feist Empire trilogy, Feists Serpentwar Saga and the Elenium.

Scions of Shannara probably next.
Scions is my favorite Shannara story by far. Walker Boh is cool.

I remember really liking Elfstones, but I’ve never reread it, so…grain of salt.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I think I made it to the end of book 2 or the beginning of the 3rd. I'm NOT a "novel reading kinda guy"...give me a RPG rulebook or campaign setting or book on medicinal use of plants or history of concrete use in sidewalks....I'm all over that. But novels...never been my thing. I think it's the "DM in me"...I read something in a novel and think "OH! That's cool...lets see where it goes..." then it goes nowhere; it was just a simple description of something, and my mind wonders off making up stuff about said 'thing'. In short...I can't follow many novels because I'm always adding in my own "background information and history". It gets worse when I've been thinking of some culture as being like Moorish Corsairs...only to find out they are like British Fishermen in the next book. LOL!

As for WoT as as a series: I think it's totally doable. They'll have to "condense" a lot of the exposition into scenery and visuals. Jordan can take three pages to describe a room or a camp site...that can be done in 6 seconds of camera work. They'll also have to have AMAZING actors to intone and 'show' emotions and reactions that give the viewer all the information they need to "get it". Lastly, they REALLY need to play up the more or less "society norms"...and in todays day and age, I'm not sure they have the brass tacks to do that (re: men fight, women cook; men do the heavy lifting, women do the looking after; soldiers do XYZ, citizens do ABC, etc). At least that was one thing that stood out to me in the books; the distinct "places" that sexes and professions had...very 'caste like', I guess.

But I am really looking forward to seeing how they do the Trollocs! :) I always pictured them like Warhammer Beastmen.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

doctorbadwolf

Elfstones I enjoyed but can’t say is good or bad, and Wishsong is good, for sure. Heritage is the best story, IMO.

The prequel with Jerle Shannara was also really good, IIRC. I haven’t read the newer stuff yet.

TheSword

Legend
Hiya!

I think I made it to the end of book 2 or the beginning of the 3rd. I'm NOT a "novel reading kinda guy"...give me a RPG rulebook or campaign setting or book on medicinal use of plants or history of concrete use in sidewalks....I'm all over that. But novels...never been my thing. I think it's the "DM in me"...I read something in a novel and think "OH! That's cool...lets see where it goes..." then it goes nowhere; it was just a simple description of something, and my mind wonders off making up stuff about said 'thing'. In short...I can't follow many novels because I'm always adding in my own "background information and history". It gets worse when I've been thinking of some culture as being like Moorish Corsairs...only to find out they are like British Fishermen in the next book. LOL!

As for WoT as as a series: I think it's totally doable. They'll have to "condense" a lot of the exposition into scenery and visuals. Jordan can take three pages to describe a room or a camp site...that can be done in 6 seconds of camera work. They'll also have to have AMAZING actors to intone and 'show' emotions and reactions that give the viewer all the information they need to "get it". Lastly, they REALLY need to play up the more or less "society norms"...and in todays day and age, I'm not sure they have the brass tacks to do that (re: men fight, women cook; men do the heavy lifting, women do the looking after; soldiers do XYZ, citizens do ABC, etc). At least that was one thing that stood out to me in the books; the distinct "places" that sexes and professions had...very 'caste like', I guess.

But I am really looking forward to seeing how they do the Trollocs! :) I always pictured them like Warhammer Beastmen.

^_^

Paul L. Ming
They accidentally released a Moiraine trailer in Germany similar to the one I posted above but a wider shot. It had a heavily shadowed trollock in the background which was bulky and massive.

If you stopped at book 2/3 you probably missed how Jordan turns all those gender expectations on their head with the Aiel. In fact they totally destroy the concept of the superiority of western ‘civilized’ superiority, with an extremely sophisticated culture. The aiel also have a couple of great plot arcs that makes them very interesting characters psychologically.

Remove ads