• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When a creature becomes large???

Drakeskull

First Post
In our campaine there are many barbarians. We have a more barbarian style race of humans to that can reach up to seven foot in height, but there is one that is a freak of nature and stands nearly 8 foot. At what height and size should they be considered large?

Blood Jester

First Post
Drakeskull said:
In our campaine there are many barbarians. We have a more barbarian style race of humans to that can reach up to seven foot in height, but there is one that is a freak of nature and stands nearly 8 foot. At what height and size should they be considered large?
Per rules, large is over 8 feet tall.

Kilmore

First Post
In the Monster Manual it notes the size differences of different monsters based on their hit die. Humans naturally do not increase in size as they progress. However, I live about 30 miles away from where the world's tallest man lived: Robert Pershing Wadlow, EIGHT FEET ELEVEN INCHES TALL! I think he would definitely slip into large category. http://www.altonweb.com/history/wadlow/

Therefore, I suggest maybe allowing the character to take a feat for when he wants to be considered a large character.

dcollins

Explorer
Drakeskull said:

In general, not at all. D&D size categories are more than just raw height, they are also represent overall weight/bulk and length of reach. Just because someone writes down on their character sheet that they're 8'-1" should not give them the benefits of large size. A size increase specifically represents a doubling of size, so if your base race stands 6', you really need to reach 12' to be considered a size bigger.

As a real-life example, take the previously mentioned "world's tallest man": you can see he was very lean and lanky, standing 8'-11", but even so failed to weigh the required 500+ pounds for Large-sized (he weighed 490 lb. max). As an in-game example, in 3.0 rules the "enlarge" spell increased your height by +50%, but even if that put you over 8' it did not count as a size increase.

A human who somehow was naturally Large-sized isn't really a human anymore; as DM this is the time when you need to stat out a new race for your campaign.

Last edited:

Vorith

First Post
Thanee said:
Yep, humans are medium-sized naturally, even the tallest ones.

Bye
Thanee

He says they are a barbarian human race...not humans.For all I know they could have frost giant blood in them, which makes them really tall and strong. I say an 8' dude would be large, and at the very least have a 10ft reach. Sounds like I would enjoy this campaign.

Take a look at Goliaths in Races of Stone. Those dudes are 7-8' tall, medium, but have the Powerful Build caracteristic, which lets them enjoy the benefits of being large (except for increased reach) with none of the drawbacks.

AR

Wolf72

Explorer
how about the option to take a couple of feats that only L+ size creatures can take? ... or some homebrew feats that help mimic Large size?

Remove ads