When characters loot the bodies of other characters

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
monsters

Also, frost, fire, and storm giants have Sunder as part of their standard feat selection.

Marimmar

First Post
...and don't forget the Nagpa from X4 - Master of the Desert Nomads (I know that this monster needs to be converted but his spell-like abilities are easily moved to 3e.), this one destroyed our fighter's +2 dwarven waraxe last session, boy was he 'not amused'. :D After the waraxe crumbled to dust the party was without a fighter since the guy acted completely irrational afterwards.

Back on topic, it's considered bad taste to loot fallen comrades, his belongings are given back to his family unless he gets ress'ed. No player would like to see other players running around with 'his' old stuff so we just remove it from the campaign.

~Marimmar

DiamondB

Explorer
I actually played a 2E dwarven fighter that became notorious for his attitude of looting is traveling companions bodies. He would always say something nice about the poor soul that had just fallen and quickly follow it up with "So what's he got on him." This was in a high body count Ravenloft campaign, 2E critical charts bad, (and yes I experienced a number of powers checks for the looting, tho' fate allowed me to never fail one) and Sturn (the character) finally got so jaded he started asking new traveling companions about their possesions just to save time.

I don't believe that magic items were really much of a concern when it came to the loot. Things were pretty light in that regard, and Sturn was pretty attached to his equipment. The one thing that I do recall having a pretty significant impact was spellbooks. The core party (the 3 that seemed to always survive) were my fighter, a psonicist and a wizard, the other four players had difficulty surviving. What would generally happen is someone would make another wizard and it wouldn't take long before he/she was slain. I think at one point the parties surviving wizard had 5 different spellbooks, which we used as emergency cash reserves.

Last edited:

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
I let the players decide what they want to do and how they do it if a PC falls. If they loot and sell, so be it.

NPC's are a different story, hired henchmen too. Standard clause I have them state is that 50% of the money sold goes toward their family as well as the share that they had been promised when it's all over. This way the PC's aren't hiring mercs, killing them for their loot and then not giving anyone anything.

Now seeing as how all the PC's in my game are Chaotic, lord only knows what'll happen now...

Norfleet

First Post
Well, from my experiences in the real world as a mercenary, I can tell you that it was fairly standard practice that, should somebody bite it, any mission equipment he had would be immediately be repossessed and used towards completing the mission. Personal effects would be returned to any next-of-kin if retrievable.

In many cases, failure to complete the mission, such as by dying, also forfeits your share of the pay.

In D&D terms, this would basically mean that all magic items found during the group's adventuring career, and any consumables, would revert to back to group possession and be doled out to qualified users or treated as loot. Personal effects of a non-mission-oriented nature would be returned to next-of-kin.

For practical reasons, bodies are to be summarily destroyed by cremation. In a universe where the bodies of your dead buddies and enemies can get up and come after you later if you're not careful, you can't be too careful.

Pants

First Post
Don't forget the Destrachen ;)
It's sonic attacks can destroy items ANd hurt characters. They're highly intelligent to boot (Int 16).
My players were might pissed off when I used one against them :D

Shaele

First Post
I let the PCs do what they think is appropriate with the old items, and start the new PC with the suggested wealth for his level.

Sure they have excessive money for a short period of time, but amazingly enough, most of the NPCs they defeat after that have less-then-optimal treasure lying around. Funny how that works. Within a session or two, they're back to where they should be.

As a DM, you have a lot of control over what the PCs acquire long-term, and how much wealth they're allowed to accumulate. Keep it in line over the long-term, and don't worry about day-to-day wealth as much.

Katowice

Explorer
I would say that the whole "looting" issue depends on the character's background and alignment. There are plenty of instances in fiction where a character takes a fallen companion's equipment:

In the the Fellowship of the Ring (strictly speaking, the movie), Isildur takes up his father's sword and destroys Sauron. This is an instance where the item is a family heirloom. The sword is broken, reforged and taken by Aragorn (not stated in the movie, but it's in the book).

Also, Isildur takes the Ring from Sauron (his vanquished foe).

After his death, Boromir is floated out into the river with his shield and sword, but Aragorn keeps his Gondor-embroidered bracers, possibly a token of remembrance.

In Star Wars, Obi-Wan Kenobi (presumably in Episode III) defeats Anakin Skywalker and takes his lightsaber, only to later give it to Luke in Episode IV.

I think Lawful or Good characters might have moral qualms about just looting the bodies, especially if they are Lawful or Good Fighters, Clerics or Paladins. Neutral or Chaotic characters might do it out of a perceived necessity or utility. Evil characters would probably do it just to spite the fallen foe.

Like the previous poster mentioned in modern warfare, utilizing a fallen companion's equipment is not considered looting, of course the weaponry and equipment are property of the service, not of the character. You probably wouldn't see a soldier swiping the fallen comrade's credit cards, crucifix or other personal items.

I guess it really depends on alignment, class and whether equipment in your campaign really has sentimental value or if it is the proverbial "+1 longsword of the week.)

Last edited:

Remove ads