When did Entitled become a bad word?

Nytmare

David Jose
It seems to me, that in the last decade, the word "Entitled" or "Entitlement" has been used in a negative connotation.

I'd put money on it being that you're just noticing it now cause it's become a buzz word.

I've probably known the word for the nearly four decades I've been alive, and it's had a negative connotation the entire time, based on its usage.

Someone who is entitled to something would not have the negative connotation, whereas someone who FELT as though they were entitled to something would, because of the subtle "they think that they deserve it, but they don't/haven't earned it" undertone.

It works for any positive descriptive word. If someone is young, beautiful, rich, and famous and is adored by millions, they're a far cry from the person who only thinks that they're young, beautiful, rich, and famous and expects to be adored by millions.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
I'd put money on it being that you're just noticing it now cause it's become a buzz word.

I've probably known the word for the nearly four decades I've been alive, and it's had a negative connotation the entire time, based on its usage.

Someone who is entitled to something would not have the negative connotation, whereas someone who FELT as though they were entitled to something would, because of the subtle "they think that they deserve it, but they don't/haven't earned it" undertone.

It works for any positive descriptive word. If someone is young, beautiful, rich, and famous and is adored by millions, they're a far cry from the person who only thinks that they're young, beautiful, rich, and famous and expects to be adored by millions.

While trying to steer clear of politics, when I hear somebody use the word, it tends to shift blame, responsibility, and absolve responsibility, social obligation, or generosity.

I certainly agree someone in need, hurt, or wronged, isn't entitled to guarranteed assistance.

But when folks bandy that word about, they toss a whole heapful on the guy who's down, shifting focus from the guy who done wrong, or is in position to help but refuses to.

It's like the richest woman in the world (in Australia) who inherited her billions, complaining that australian workers should accept $2/day pay like their african counterparts so she can make more money. She also basically says they need to work harder (which most poor people bust their arses just to make ends meet, so she's full of crap). The long chain of her diatribe is, she's got no empathy for those people and she casts all responsibility and ability to correct their situation onto them. It's politics and bickering to get into what should be done to help the poor people (like taking her money).

But it's morals and ethics to get into casting all the blame on the guy who's down, when we know the other guy can do something to help. the start of it is to get folks to stop using terms like Entitled to blame Umbran when it's Bob who's actually exhibited poor human behavior.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
"When did entitled become a bad word?"

When it stops meaning you. ;)

:eek:

I guess I noticed it a number of years ago, when it started to be used as a "line in the sand", you heard a lot of "you are entitled to the following," mostly it was benefits and job related. Over the years, I have seen those sliding away from that line, you now hear "you are entitled to the following under plan A but, you are entitled to a bit more under plan B".

Just think when you start putting a price tag on what you are entitled to, you start to resent it.

Elf Witch

First Post
I feel that the word entitled can be both positive and negative depending on how it is used.

For example if I agree to DM and you agree to play in my game I feel I am entitled to a little warning if you are not going to show up or even if you are going to quit.

A negative side to that would be I agreed to DM and I am now entitled that you never miss a session.

Entitled is not always bad it really depends on what you feel entitled about.

rkarnes

First Post
This subject is discussed at great length in the fantastic[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Debt-The-First-000-Years/dp/1933633867"] Debt: the first 5,000 Years[/ame]. It is a book about what, and who, you owe your allegiance too, and what it means to be "entitled".

Last edited:

Remove ads