• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General When to know a rule?

ezo

I cast invisibility
Yeah, I get the feeling people are really talking past one another and assuming a level of antagonism that may not be warranted. Rules are knowing that different types of armor will have different armor classes. Knowing the dwarves have a different type of armor in this one location, and learn what it does, your characters have to go to that location and talk to someone selling that armor is something to be discovered the course of the game.
Exactly.

Perhaps the PCs have heard rumors of this special armor these dwarves make. Perhaps it is stronger, lighter, doesn't rust, who knows--it depends on what they discover.

Once they go there to see the armor, meet someone who has it, or whatever to GET the armor themselves and equip it, then the DM can tell them precisely (not generally) how the armor is different and impacts the game rules mechanically.

Until then, information is vague:
1. "the armor is stronger and can withstand nearly any blow"
2. "the metal is thinner and lighter, allowing for the same protection as heavier armors but with less weight or impact on mobility"
3. "the armor never corrodes or rusts, and is especially resistant to acids, fire, and cold"

From the information, the players might guess what some of the benefits/changes are, but that's the best they can do until they get the armor.

Once they have the armor, equip it, they can learn the homebrew for it and how it affects game rules:
1. AC is +1 and the armor has twice the hit points as an object
2. the AC is normal, but the weight is half and the armor is usuable by characters proficient in the next lighter armor type, it has no Strength requirement, and does not impose disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks.
3. the armor is impervious to corrosive attacks, like from a Rust Monster, and provides the wearer with advantage on saving throws against acid, fire, and cold

Notice, the homebrew has impact on the rules, but the rules themselves remain unchanged.

With spells, a homebrew spell has its own statistics, but doesn't change how spells are cast or how concentration works, etc., which would be houserules.

Nah... some of us don't forget it, we just purposefully ignore it.
When you are role-playing a character in a fantasy setting, you're trying to be someone else. And whoever you're trying to be doesn't see what they are doing as a part of some game. To them, it's just another day of adventuring. ;)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yeah, I get the feeling people are really talking past one another and assuming a level of antagonism that may not be warranted. Rules are knowing that different types of armor will have different armor classes. Knowing the dwarves have a different type of armor in this one location, and learn what it does, your characters have to go to that location and talk to someone selling that armor is something to be discovered the course of the game.
Or find/steal a suit of said armour and just try it out, experiment with it, and learn its "rules" as you go.

What's life without a little trial-and-error risk, eh?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Until then, information is vague:
1. "the armor is stronger and can withstand nearly any blow"
2. "the metal is thinner and lighter, allowing for the same protection as heavier armors but with less weight or impact on mobility"
3. "the armor never corrodes or rusts, and is especially resistant to acids, fire, and cold"
4. "and if you have to ask, you most definitely can't afford it."

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I mean, there have been disagreements on these forums about what does or doesn’t constitute “rules” in other contexts, and some have gotten quite heated, so I wouldn’t be so quick to attribute the interpretation of custom spells as “rules” to an uncharitable reading of the OP. That said, if people are being uncharitable towards Bloodtide, it’s because they have a history of posting stories that strain credulity, but paint a picture of an extremely hostile DMing style if taken at face value.

TiQuinn

I mean, there have been disagreements on these forums about what does or doesn’t constitute “rules” in other contexts, and some have gotten quite heated, so I wouldn’t be so quick to attribute the interpretation of custom spells as “rules” to an uncharitable reading of the OP. That said, if people are being uncharitable towards Bloodtide, it’s because they have a history of posting stories that strain credulity, but paint a picture of an extremely hostile DMing style if taken at face value.
Fair enough, I’ve been away from the forums for awhile so I don’t know who’s who necessarily, though I’ve already noticed a couple of people who seem like they’d do well to simply ignore each other.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Before the characters ever went to that area and found out about the armor?
If you're telling me the armor is there, why aren't you saying even the slightest bit about what it does?

And if you are for some reason keeping all of this super duper hush-hush top secret, what's the point? It can't matter unless it's in the experience, and if it is, you should be telling me about it. I emphasized that three times in the parts of my post you cut out.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
When you are role-playing a character in a fantasy setting, you're trying to be someone else. And whoever you're trying to be doesn't see what they are doing as a part of some game. To them, it's just another day of adventuring. ;)
So what?

None of that has any bearing on whether it IS a game or not.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
If you're telling me the armor is there, why aren't you saying even the slightest bit about what it does?

And if you are for some reason keeping all of this super duper hush-hush top secret, what's the point? It can't matter unless it's in the experience, and if it is, you should be telling me about it. I emphasized that three times in the parts of my post you cut out.
No. You misunderstand me.

If the players go there, and learn of the armor, of course I tell them abut it.

I'm asking if the character should know about the armor before encountering it in game.

Remove ads