Where are all the fantasy movies?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, I think the trouble is, when it comes to Sword & Sorcery, what else is there that is big besides Lord of the Rings?

I mean, Led Zeppelin wrote at least 2 songs about it. AFAIK, how many Led Zeppelin songs does any other fantasy series have? None!

Okay, that's a silly way to gauge popularity, but really, what else is popular? Mostly it's niche. I can't imagine them making a movie based on Jordan's stuff. Elric is hardly a household name - Chaosium had to change the name of their "Elric!" game back to Stormbringer because they found no one had actually heard of "Elric" (but his sword is more famous)

We might have seen a series based on the Scorpion King, but that sorta flopped, I think. (Though I liked it.).

Dungeons & Dragons probably has the best "brand" recognition, but the movie itself doesn't seem to have had much to do with the game, or be very good. I'm shocked there's a sequel (even more shocked that the guy with lipstick is in the sequel, apparently).

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I don't think Sword and Sorcery stuff sells as much. D&D is still a nerd's trade, afterall.

Vigilance

Explorer
From what I have read the effect of the LOTR movies on Hollywood seems to have been that they think sweeping epic dramas with great special effects might be the next place to look for Franchises, as opposed to sci-fi epics with great FX.

I heard this on the commentary for the Master and Commander movie, in which the director or producer (I forget) mentioned that M&C got greenlighted in the wake of LOTR because of its similarities (ie drama, sweeping epic, FX and franchise potential).

Chuck

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Okay, I went through the list mmadsen posted and organized it based on release date. Plus, several of these movies don't really qualify as "Sword & Sorcery" fantasy movies, as per Krug's post. Those marked with an asterisk (*) are listed as being a Fantasy genre movie on IMDB, but not all of them qualify as "Sword & Sorcery" Fantasy. I've also provided links, if the movie is listed on IMDb. I've added quite a few, as well. - KF72

Pre-2005

A Sound of Thunder *
Apocalypse and the Beauty Queen *
Batman Begins *
Beowulf & Grendel *
Bewitched *
Bloodrayne *
Cerebral Print: The Secret Files *
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory *
Corpse Bride *
Delgo *
Dungeons & Dragons 2: The Elemental Might *
D-War *
Fantastic Four *
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire *
Herbie: Fully Loaded *
Journey to the Center of the Earth *
King Kong *
Living Neon Dreams *
MirrorMask *
Mortal Kombat: Devastation *
Paheli *
Pan's Labyrinth *
Shadowland: The Legend *
Sidekick *
Slipdream *
The Big Spook War/Yôkai daisensô *
The Brothers Grimm *
The Chosen One *
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe *
The Crow: Wicked Prayer *
The Fraud Prince *
The Gamers: Dorkness Rising *
The Green Faerie *
The Shaggy Dog *
Underworld: Evolution *
Valiant
Veritas, Prince of Truth *
Where the Wild Things Are *
Zathura *​

2176 *
A Spell for Chameleon *
Books of Magic *
Bras and Broomsticks *
Charlotte's Web *
Click *
Cowboys and Aliens *
Daylight's End *
Eragon *
Ghost Rider *
Gnomeo and Juliet *
He-Man *
I Dream of Jeannie *
John Carter of Mars *
Kiki's Delivery Service *
Lady in the Water *
Life of Pi *
Luke Cage *
Madness in the First Degree *
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium *
Pattern Recognition *
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest *
Shazam! *
Superman Returns *
Tekken *
The Black Widow *
The Evil Dead (Remake) *
The Flash *
The Illusionist *
The Last Unicorn *
The Mermaids Singing *
The Santa Clause 3
The Secret Life of Superfans (Documentary) *
The Spiderwick Chronicles *
The Tale of Despereaux *
The Treehouse *
The Watchmen *
Snow and the Seven *
Widow's Broom *
Wonder Woman *
Zoom *​

Not Found on IMDb
• Alice [in Wonderland?]
• Dr. Strange [cool]
• Elric of Melnibone [first I've heard of this]
• Gateway to the Gods [???]
• Good Omens [???]
• The Hobbit [likely]
• King Conan: Crown of Iron [The script is being redone and won't likely have Arnold in it.]
• Knight's Castle [???]
• Mage [based on comic book?]
• Solomon Grundy [???]​

Only Found the TV Show
• Xena: Warrior Princess​

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Knightfall1972 said:
Okay, I went through the list mmadsen posted and organized it based on release date. Plus, several of these movies don't really qualify as "Sword & Sorcery" fantasy movies, as per Krug's post. Those marked with an asterisk (*) are listed as being a Fantasy genre movie on IMDB, but not all of them qualify as "Sword & Sorcery" Fantasy. I've also provided links, if the movie is listed on IMDb. I've added quite a few, as well. - KF72
Good work there! You should've used an asterisk to mark those not listed as Fantasy...

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Jdvn1 said:
Good work there! You should've used an asterisk to mark those not listed as Fantasy...

Yeah, I thought about that after the fact. I hadn't realized how many other movies I'd end up adding. :lol:

Banshee16

First Post
Supposedly the rights to make a series of books on a series of books called "The Runelords" has been purchased. I've seen the books in the stores, but never read them.

Also, apparently someone purchased the rights to make the Eye of the World, the first in the Wheel of Time novels, into a movie.

I suspect that many companies are seeking novels etc. to make movies upon, but that many of these won't really go anywhere.

One series I'm surprised not to have seen anyone purchase, given the popularity of Tolkien, C.S. Lewis etc. is the "Dark is Rising" series. I remember they were a pretty good fantasy series I read in my early teens.

Oh, the rights to make a movie about the book I'm currently reading, "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" have also been purchased.

Banshee

Swoop109

First Post
Whisperfoot said:
I thought Conan was nixed ....
Currently the rumour mill has it that after he gets done doing the sequels to Sin City, Robert Rodriguez will be doing a movie based on REH's Conan.
It is known that Milius was asked to leave the Warner Brothers studios. In a recent interview given to G4 he did state that his plans for a third Conan film were terminated.

In other areas, Karl Wagner's character Kane has been optioned for a movie based on the stories in the collection, The Midnight Sun.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Banshee16 said:
I suspect that many companies are seeking novels etc. to make movies upon, but that many of these won't really go anywhere.
Films based on novels are not uncommon. Films based on fantasy literature are uncommon.

Remove ads