Where are all the fantasy movies?

Captain Tagon

First Post
buzz said:
For the purposes of this discussion, it is S&S, if only to distinguish it from "fantasy" like Harry Potter and Bewitched. I.e., swords, elves, magic, dragons, etc.

I still can't buy that. S&S has lots of connotations that go with it about feel and scope that just don't fit LOTR at all. The Scorpion King is a much better description of a S&S film like Joshua mentioned.

buzz

Adventurer
Captain Tagon said:
I still can't buy that. S&S has lots of connotations that go with it about feel and scope that just don't fit LOTR at all. The Scorpion King is a much better description of a S&S film like Joshua mentioned.
Then replace "S&S" with another term that connotates "fantasy in vaguely medieval settings with elves and magic swords" as opposed to "speculative stories about weird, magical things happening in modern-day settings". That's all I'm trying to convey. Sheesh.

Captain Tagon

First Post
buzz said:
Then replace "S&S" with another term that connotates "fantasy in vaguely medieval settings with elves and magic swords" as opposed to "speculative stories about weird, magical things happening in modern-day settings". That's all I'm trying to convey. Sheesh.

Or you could just use the term fantasy. I'm big on that one.

Felon

First Post
Solomon Grundy gets his own movie? That warrants a big honkin' "WTF???"

Swoop109 said:
In other areas, Karl Wagner's character Kane has been optioned for a movie based on the stories in the collection, The Midnight Sun.

Where'd you hear this? Kane's long been overdue for some serious licensing attention. Then again, since he's a villain (even the term "antihero" is probably too mild), we're talking huge potential to muck it up.

Now, Midnight Sun is the pastiche that takes place in modern times, isn't it? Those are mostly psychodramas, with little action, as Kane commans some pretty far-out forces by this point. And it's completely incomprehensible without the S&S stories to back them up.

OK, let's hijack this thread a little, and ask another question.... what fantasy novels do you think would make a good S&S movie? I think the first half of the "Doomfarers of Coramonde" would make a good movie (where else would you see an APC fight a dragon or battle in Hell?). How about some of the Solomon Kane stories?

Captain Tagon

First Post
David Howery said:
OK, let's hijack this thread a little, and ask another question.... what fantasy novels do you think would make a good S&S movie? I think the first half of the "Doomfarers of Coramonde" would make a good movie (where else would you see an APC fight a dragon or battle in Hell?). How about some of the Solomon Kane stories?

To paraphrase someone from the S&S fiction thread, is there a such thing as a good S&S movie?

Anyway. I'm not sure, I haven't really read much S&S and what I have read I don't think I'd enjoy anymore on the big screen than I did reading it. Soloman Kane maybe, but I'm not sure how you'd do it as all the stories I've read are pretty short. Plus I'm not sure how well received a dark fantasy story set in the Puritan age would be. But who knows?

Swoop109

First Post
Hells, I'd be happy with just one well done film based on a Robert E. Howard character. I don't care which.

BTW, the Del Rey tradepaper version of Bran Mac Morn hits the shelves at the end of the month. :D It contains some material that did not make it into the Wandering Star edition.

Remove ads