• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where are the really small creatures?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Stalker0 said:
Other than swarms, are there any monsters in MM I-IV that are diminuative or fine?
Only the Bat and Toad from the Monster Manual.

There are remarkably few non-swarm Diminutive and Fine creatures at all in official D&D products. Here are the only ones I could find:

Fine
Hairy Spider (Faiths and Pantheons/Monsters of Faerûn)
Hoard Scarab (Draconomicon)
Mouse Familiar (DMG, Tome and Blood)
Puppeteer (Expanded Psionics Handbook)
Shrew Familiar (Tome and Blood)
(plus three symbionts: Mind Leech and Soul Tick (Fiend Folio) and Throwing Scarab (Magic of Eberron))

Diminutive
Bat (Monster Manual v.3.5)
Brain Mole (Psionics Handbook) (revised to Tiny in Expanded Psionics Handbook)
Crawling Claw (Monsters of Faerûn) (revised to Tiny in Lost Empires of Faerûn)
Demilich (Epic Level Handbook)
Ferret Familiar (DMG, Tome and Blood)
Fiendish Familiar (Fiend Folio)
Hedgehog Familiar (DMG, Tome and Blood)
Homonculus, Expeditious Messenger (Eberron Campaign Setting)
Least Spirit Centipede (Oriental Adventures)
Psicrystal (Expanded Psionics Handbook)
Screech Owl Familiar (DMG, Tome and Blood)
Sparrow Hawk Familiar (Tome and Blood)
Thrush Familiar (DMG, Tome and Blood)
Toad (Monster Manual v.3.5)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Of those, which is the highest CR? I think we need more high CR diminuitive and fine creatures. :D

Fieari

Explorer
Of those? Demilich, obviously.

I would agree with you. The trick is, of course, comming up with the apropriate inspiration... how do you make something so small, so powerful? For the moment, I'd like to consider non-purely magical means... in that if you're just piling on caster levels, you might as well have NO body at all, and the fine or diminuitive size is practically irrelevant anyway.

taliesin15

First Post
Crikey, aren't there a bunch of faerie-type creatures we're forgetting here, or all they all classified as small? Like Sylphs and Sprites and such. Seems like Fiend Folio had a few too. If not, that seems a major omission, because of all the fantasy literature and mythological references to tiny faeries.

And of course how many angels fit on the head of a pin.

And surely there must be some tiny demons that simply haven't been invented yet. Maybe I only perceive them because they speak to me at night to let me know how everyone's out to get me.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
taliesin15 said:
And surely there must be some tiny demons that simply haven't been invented yet. Maybe I only perceive them because they speak to me at night to let me know how everyone's out to get me.
That is a great idea. A diminutive demon that hides in your house and climbs up onto peoples' beds to give them bad dreams, making them Exhausted or Fatigued when they wake up. Maybe they enter dreams, too. Hm.... :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads