Where to Start with Doctor Who?

fanboy2000

Adventurer
So, lets say there's a guy (definitely not me ;) ) who, upon finding out that the creator of Coupling is now the writer on Doctor Who, wants to check it out.

Where should this very hypothetical person start? New series, old series, current Doctor, some other Doctor? That one movie with Peter Cushing? It's been going on for fourty years and there's 106 lost episodes (that somehow don't seem to impede people from getting into it...how does that work?)

Suggested entry points should be as low cost as possible.

Crothian

First Post
I'd start season one of the new incarnation. But really you can start with almost any season and while there are some things that might not make great sense or allow you to appreciate the impact of events it works well.

Mercutio01

First Post
I think starting with the Eccleston series is a good spot. I tried initially with some of the older stuff when I was younger, but the production values alone were enough to send me packing. The reboot matched up better with my expectations for a tv show, and hooked me. I've now gone back and watched many of the older series, and I do like them now, but I think I had to come onboard with the newer stuff in order to develop an appreciation of the series before I could handle the older stuff.

To answer the cost question---if you have Netflix, the whole reboot series from Eccleston to Matt Smith is on Watch Instantly (except for the newest season, of course).

GreyLord

Legend
Where do you live. Some places have it where you can watch the episodes for free. Haven't checked to see if the BBC is showing any of the show (haven't checked in a while, I imagine they'll have a free showing of the Christmas special via the internet). If it's free it's easy to check to see if you like it.

Herschel

Adventurer
Amazon has all but the most recent season free for streaming under Prime memberships also, but I already own the discs. Moffat's episodes in Series one are the intro of Captain Jack and "Are You My Mummy", "The Girl In The Fireplace" in Series 2 and 'The Library' episodes in Series 4 before taking over as lead for Series 5.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Amazon has all but the most recent season free for streaming under Prime memberships also, but I already own the discs. Moffat's episodes in Series one are the intro of Captain Jack and "Are You My Mummy", "The Girl In The Fireplace" in Series 2 and 'The Library' episodes in Series 4 before taking over as lead for Series 5.

Why do you hate 'Blink'? :D

xander764

First Post
i started with the first matt smith ep and i was good after watching and catching up im sure you can catch on to the plot it better to start at the beginning of a season

It's a show about time travel. Watch it in any order. I did season 6 part 1, season 5, season 6 part 2, season 1. Now I'm starting season 2.

Personally, I thought season 1 was weak, but that's how it is with most sci-fi shows, honestly.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's a show about time travel. Watch it in any order. I did season 6 part 1, season 5, season 6 part 2, season 1. Now I'm starting season 2.

Personally, I thought season 1 was weak, but that's how it is with most sci-fi shows, honestly.

So you've seen no Tennant? Man...

That said, watching 2005+ in the wrong order is certainly doable - but it totally screws up the overall character arc and would totally knocker the emotional impact of the regenerations.

Last edited:

Remove ads