Where Would You Locate Atlantis?

Zardnaar

Legend
Currently in a break developing new campaign and running current one. Anyway theme is ancient Greece. Atlantis has magi tech was destroyed by the gods.

Several thoughts.

1. Thera. Posedian sank the city, Thera erupted but a magical bubble preserved parts of the ruins.

2. In the not Atlantic roughly the not Azores.

3. Elemental plane of water. It "sunk" but relocated to Elemental plane.

4. Another outer plane. Dagons realm in the abyss?

5. Another planet or galaxy. There's a magical circle that creates a gate. One could even call it a Stargate.

6. Enworld suggestion.

Gonna borrow this Atlantis.

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Currently in a break developing new campaign and running current one. Anyway theme is ancient Greece. Atlantis has magi tech was destroyed by the gods.

Several thoughts.

1. Thera. Posedian sank the city, Thera erupted but a magical bubble preserved parts of the ruins.

2. In the not Atlantic roughly the not Azores.

3. Elemental plane of water. It "sunk" but relocated to Elemental plane.

4. Another outer plane. Dagons realm in the abyss?

5. Another planet or galaxy. There's a magical circle that creates a gate. One could even call it a Stargate.

6. Enworld suggestion.
I'm intrigued by this thread, although not sure I understand your question? Is this on Thoril? Or Earth? Urth? Oerth? Other? (never noticed before that Oerth and Other are anagrams of each other...)

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I kind of like Elemental Plane of Water. Could even combine it with, say, Thera, by dropping the planar gate (ie, big maelstrom) in the gaping crater where Atlantis used to be.

johnsolo

Explorer
What if there was a magical cataclysm caused by Atlanteans where they ended up in a pocket dimension devoid of the magical power necessary to escape ... until the powers unleashed by another world ending disaster created enough potential psychic energy to rip it back from the dimension and to Rifts Earth: https://rifts.fandom.com/wiki/Atlantis

Depends on which parts of the stories/myths about Atlantis you want to be true for your setting. In the writings, it is supposed to be outside the Pillars of Hercules, so west of Gibralter and outside the Mediterranean.

Ryujin

Legend
I think that I'd go with the Not Azores, especially if you've got a shallow draft, coast hugging sort of seagoing culture. It should be treacherous to reach, but not impossible. No solar/stellar navigation, apart from absolute basics. Maybe throw in a magic item that acts as a wayfinder?

aco175

Legend
I would have it in the not Libyan Desert. Kind of like Aquaman movie where things changed and the sea was swallowed up by the desert. It becomes far enough away to make it a journey.

Remove ads