• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Basic?

Which Version of Basic D&D did your (primarly) play?

Holy Bovine

First Post
Moldvay/Cook, baby. I kinda wish they had used that art for the neo-Red Box instead of the Mentzer box's art. (Not that the Elmore dragon is bad; I just prefer the Erol Otus dragon.)

Same here. That Otus cover is still the one I think of when Basic D&D is mentioned. Played the hell out of those rules.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
I was introduced to D&D and Final Fantasy in the same week. So after Zanzer's Dungeon and Stonefast, it was quite naturally time to steer our first campaign to Corneria, where the king could ask us to go to the Temple of Fiends and rescue Princess Sarah from the evil knight Garland. :)

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
Moldvay/Cook all the way :) My dad actually taught me (and my siblings) D&D using that system when I was pretty young.

I'm currently in college, and I actually most frequently play Moldvay/Cook B/X. I'm even starting up a campaign next week ;)

Orius

Legend
I started on the Long-black box, but I OWN the "Classic D&D" game. I've even used Zanzer Tem's dungeon as a start point for a campaign once. So Axel, Zanzar, Stonefast, and the like are my first D&D. After Stonefast, we went onto Keep on the Borderlands! Good times.

I started here too, at the long black box. Didn't stick with it long though, because the basic line, most importantly the RC went out of print, so up to 2e I went.

I've used Zanzer Tem's dungeon and Stonefast as starting dungeons in 2e. Even included Axel as an annoying DMPC, even without other elements of the box, I had him teamed up with Jerj and that minotaur, and had him trick the PCs into accepting an arm-wrestling match with the minotaur. Stonefast was altered a bit in my 2e games as well.

Remathilis

Legend
Mentzer for me too.

I never did move on to the '-ECMI' part of BECMI, though. We just skipped from that to AD&D.

Using the RC, we got to around 9th level before switching to 2e. We liked the 9 alignments, race/class combos and more class options. Up to that point though, we had been using everything in the RC: we didn't have a mystic, but we did use the weapon mastery rules! :eek:

My personal game used the original charts from the Basic set, and photocopies from the RC for 6th level on. Around 7th level we switched to 2e.

Moldvay/Cook.

Man, we played the snot out of those books. I finally got rid of the books when I got married and had to clear make room for my wifes things. They were falling apart and I hadn't looked at them in years. I still have the crappy oragne plastic 20 sider that came in the boxed set in my dice bag. The thing is so old the edges are rounded off and its more like rolling a sphere but its still fun to see when it rolls out of the bag on game night.

-Ashrum

Wicht

Hero
Moldvay for me. I'm afraid the current red box triggers absolutely no notalgic feelings in me as I never cared for the look of that boxed set and always prefered the look of the magenta box I came to cherish.

Brief anecdote. I gave my brother my dnd stuff for a time and he ended up losing my original boxed set (how I don't know.) He replaced it we a crisp, new, never used copy of the Moldvay box, complete with dice and a pristine Keep on the Borderland. Its probably one of my most cherished roleplaying possessions, that boxed set.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads