• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Campaign Setting has the best fluff? Why?

DaveMage said:
Dragonlance has 157 novels (I counted a hardback and softback with the same title as 1 novel) and 75 game products (228 total).

(snip)

Forgotten Realms has over 140 game products and 140 novels (280+ total).

Jesus Christ, that's even worse than I thought. How many of the products and/or novels are even readable, let alone any actual good?

Personally I gave up on Dragonlance when, somewhere in the first three books or so, the author got confused between the terms "halberd" and "hauberk" with the result that the guards in one town started pointing their mailshirts at people in a threatening way. This was certainly a remarkable image but it was also the point at which I realised the authors weren't even bothering to proofread.

It's quite scary that over 150 novels for the same setting were subsequently published.

alanajoli

First Post
Another Pro-Kalamar vote

I've got to say that as far as world consistency, plot-hooks coming directly from the setting, and lovely geographic detail, Kingdoms of Kalamar is the way to go. (Just check out the Atlas. Coolest gaming-sourcebook ever.)

If you're running a game in KoK, you have the freedom to base everything on your characters--they're the heroes of the setting. You don't have to worry about major earth-shattering events changing your game. It can be run as low or high magic as you want. So there's a lot of flexibility as far as your campaign is concerned, but a lot of details already given so you don't have to fill in holes. Basically, all around goodness.

You also get an instant in with the people at the kenzerco.com forums, who are helpful and wonderful people who support DMs in gaming dilemmas, create plot hooks, create mini-dungeons, post ideas for magic items... All sorts of stuff. And if, like me, you prefer working from a printed module, KoK also has a Living counterpart, and you get access to free adventures through the RPGA.

Besides, as Thumper (from the Kenzerco.com forums) says: "Real men and women play Kalamar."

-Alana

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Testament said:
Number 2: Planescape

Weird and wonderful Planescape. ANYTHING is possible in The Cage, anything can happen (and usually does). rk post brought this setting to life with his bizarre artwork, the supplements are about the only 2E stuff I'd kill to own, owing to how they drip with the unique flavour of this place.

Are you barmy, berk? rk post? Don't you mean Tony DiTerlizzi and Brom? :)

But yeah, awesome setting. And the factions- don't forget the factions! The theme of philosophical warfare running through the setting was what gave it purpose, and made it more than just a demon-slaying romp...

Let's see... my nominees for best fluff, other than Planescape-

Midnight- great fluff, but I'm not sure I ever want to run it again. It's either futile (you can't do anything and you die) or terminal (Izrador is turned back or defeated, and the campaign is over). And it's extremely frustrating to do right.

Dawnforge- great fluff, and more potential than Midnight for long-term campaigning.

Diamond Throne- see above.

Forgotten Realms- there's just so much- it only looks like a grey mess if you try to take in all of it. Run a campaign delving into the details of a specific region that catches your eye, and you're golden... a campaign setting of endless possibilities...

Ravenloft- yet another setting with divine fluff that I'm not sure I'd ever want to run...

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
There can be ONLY one for the Sage of the Scarred Lands. And if you can't guess what that one is...you are a sad person indeed! :p

Psion

Adventurer
Tyler Do'Urden said:

I'll second rk post. Except for a select few pictures, DiTerlizzi never really did it for me.

Testament

First Post
Tyler Do'Urden said:

I'm with Psion, DiTerlizzi never did it for me either. What Planescape I've seen (remember, I'm a child of 3rd Edition) was usually done by rk post, and yes, there was some Brom work as well. Thing is, to me, Brom means Dark Sun, while rk's strange visions are Planescape.

Psion

Adventurer
alanajoli said:
If you're running a game in KoK, you have the freedom to base everything on your characters--they're the heroes of the setting.

For which settings other than FR do you think that this does not hold true?

Just curious, as this seems like an incedibly non-general point to highlight, and was wondering if that's what you really mean to say.

Remove ads