• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which campaign setting material (AP or Sourcebook) would you like to see first/next in 5E?

Which campaign setting material (AP or Sourcebook) would you like to see first/next in 5E?

• Greyhawk

Votes: 38 24.5%
  • Planescape

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Eberron

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 29 18.7%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Birthright

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • My own homebrew

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I'm not picky. I'd run whatever they publish!

Votes: 4 2.6%

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
I would love to see some Dragonlance. I am mainly in love with the world created in the books I read since I was a kid. I think it would be cool to see adventures that run parallel to the Heroes of the Lance.
You know there's a whole series of modules where you can play the Heroes of the Lance, yeah? They're 1st edition but I think they would be easily converted to 5th.

Li Shenron

Legend
I voted "Birthright".

Probably I would buy the FR setting book, which is the most likely to be published, but at the same time I feel like FR has been screwedup forever after so many edition changes, so I am not holding my breath to it, I don't expect the setting to be exciting anymore.

I never liked Eberron, and while I technically played Greyhawk adventures, I never really found anything special about it to justify buying settings books. Dragonlance also never attracted me much.

A new Planescape book would be great, but it would be even better if they could reprint the old ones.

That leaves Dark Sun, Birthright and (off-the-poll) Al-Qadim. Probably the latter is what I would like most, if it got a serious design effort and resulted in a single large (300+ pages) sourcebook. But since it's not in the list, and Dark Sun already recently received attention, I decided to back Birthright, even tho I think it's very unlikely.

Also, I love old school Dragonlance. Unfortunately I purchased the Fifth Age box back in 1996 and it soured me on the setting. If I ever run Dragonlance, it'll be War of the Lance era, or pre-cataclysm.

Aldarc

Legend
Eberron. It's a smorgasbord of awesome. It's probably my favorite of the D&D settings ever published. It did so many things well in its world-building that I don't know where to begin.

Lrdroland

First Post
You know there's a whole series of modules where you can play the Heroes of the Lance, yeah? They're 1st edition but I think they would be easily converted to 5th.

I didn't know those exsists and that is awesome, but I would rather be my own hero doing other quests that go along with what the Heroes of the Lance do.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
I'd love it if people who voted Greyhawk came here to explain why they think it would be a good choice (apart from tradition, which isn't really much of an argument.)

I think the first campaign setting that 5E should have should be a generic one. Eberron is just a little odd for the initial D&D setting. (My response has always been a little flat--and it didn't help that the maps weren't shaped right*.) Dragonlance has a lot of metaplot and the setting was tied too tight to the metaplot to be generic. The rest aren't even close to generic. So that leaves Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms, and even though I don't know a whole lot about Greyhawk--it seems to lack a great unifying volume, at least one that I've got my hands on, whereas Forgotten Realms Adventures (2E) and Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3E) were pretty good--it just seems less overwhelmed by huge powers and more open to low-level adventures out to adventure then FR.

Scarred Lands, as per [MENTION=55178]Nytmare[/MENTION], is an interesting choice. It's owned by the people who bought White Wolf, and people at Oynx Path (licensor of all the White Wolf goodness, since those who bought it didn't care about the RPGs) have vaguely voiced bringing it back. I doubt WotC would license it, but it too would make an interesting choice, darker and grittier and yet more mythic then FR.

* The coastline had a higher Hausdorff-Besicovitch dimension then real terrain. I know I'm failing to communicate here, but it was wrong, in a way that got under my skin and I can't explain in clear English.

Wepwawet

Explorer
Forgotten Realms. Because it is the default setting, and people need to know it.

I hated that in 3.x the default setting was Greyhawk but there was no published stuff about it (I at least didn't see any). So for a while I played in a setting that I knew nothing about (apart from the gods from the PHB)

Most of us have been playing D&D for ages and know all our favourite settings by heart, but as a new product it needs the proper support for people that are new to it. Or republish older campaign setting books, as most of it is fluff.

Also, Forgotten realms seems like good common grounds for a standard high fantasy world.

Last edited:

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
I hated that in 3.x the default setting was Greyhawk but there was no published stuff about it (I at least didn't see any). So for a while I played in a setting that I knew nothing about (apart from the gods from the PHB)

So you hated the setting because you didn't know about the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer?

Wepwawet

Explorer
So you hated the setting because you didn't know about the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer?

I didn't say I hated the setting. And i should have known better not to use that word on the internet :p

Rephrasing: I disliked that there was a supposedly default setting with no info about it.

And no, I've never heard of that Living Greyhawk Gazetteer until just now. Back then all my D&D stuff world come from my FLGS, and stores in Portugal wouldnt stock up on every single thing published in the US (except magic: the gathering). Also, I didnt follow or know about D&D internet forums and frankly expecting every player to, even today, is nonsense...

Last edited:

Remove ads