• Geanavue

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • Freeport

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • Bluffside

Votes: 16 23.2%

drnuncheon

Explorer
Can anyone summarize Bluffside for me? I need a city to put on the mainland of my Freeport game.

I'm especially interested in:

1) What is the 'feel' of the city? I've heard about Geanavue's and my game is set in Freeport, but I haven't gotten a feel for Bluffside yet.

2) What is the general power level of the city? Are most of the inhabitants low level (1-3) or are there level 10+ characters around every corner?

3) What is the general level of magic in the city - both spellcasting and items? How about the level of general "weirdness"? (Did I hear something about Carl the Grey Ooze?)

4) How easy is it to remove the adamantine angle? Would the city make sense if it were gone, or replaced with something else?

If anyone's a reader of my Story Hour, I'd love to hear whether you think it would fit with the 'feel' of my world.

J

Mystic Eye

First Post
Out of the three city books here the one I don't own is Geanavue but I do know that it has a much lower page count than Freeport and Bluffside. I can tell from posts that it is well done but it cannot be as detailed as either of the other two. Bluffside is so crammed to the gills with content it is amazing. Freeport fills its pretty pages up as well. I can't imagine Geanavue even coming close to these in regards to details.

On Content quality, Both Freeport and Bluffside are great. I CAN imagine that Geanavue is on par from that angle but it seems a bit small in comparison (by page count that is) meaning there is probably less crunchy stuff on the various locations in the city or simply fewer locations.

Well, that is the reason I went with the other two.

Voadam

Legend
If you are on a tight budget I'd get a $5 ESD from WotC. They will be prior editions of D&D but easy to modify. The other downside being that the maps will be multipage printouts. For High magic there is Waterdeep and there are plenty of other ones.

The other d20 city out right now that I have heard of is Mongoose's Skraag City of orcs. I don't own it so I can't comment on its quality.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
drnuncheon said:
Can anyone summarize Bluffside for me? I need a city to put on the mainland of my Freeport game.

I'm especially interested in:

1) What is the 'feel' of the city? I've heard about Geanavue's and my game is set in Freeport, but I haven't gotten a feel for Bluffside yet.

Geanavue is Lawful, Freeport on the chaotic side Bluffside in the middle. It is a place were things are always going on but based on the district may be completly different. Feels in some ways like Waterdeep.

2) What is the general power level of the city? Are most of the inhabitants low level (1-3) or are there level 10+ characters around every corner?[\B]

lots of 6/5 characters but I guess the average level is 10. You have commoners and warriors. A few characters are 10+ but very few.

3) What is the general level of magic in the city - both spellcasting and items? How about the level of general "weirdness"? (Did I hear something about Carl the Grey Ooze?)

[\B]

The city is built around ruins, there is a Wizard and Temple district, magic items are common. Carl the grey ooze is about the only weirdness and when you read the story not all that strange. I think it is becoming a gaming myth!

4) How easy is it to remove the adamantine angle? Would the city make sense if it were gone, or replaced with something else?
[\B]

not that hard, it could be gold, gems, silver whatever.

If anyone's a reader of my Story Hour, I'd love to hear whether you think it would fit with the 'feel' of my world.

[\B]

I think so.
J

Last edited:

kenjib

First Post
Mystic Eye said:
Out of the three city books here the one I don't own is Geanavue but I do know that it has a much lower page count than Freeport and Bluffside. I can tell from posts that it is well done but it cannot be as detailed as either of the other two. Bluffside is so crammed to the gills with content it is amazing. Freeport fills its pretty pages up as well. I can't imagine Geanavue even coming close to these in regards to details.

Hello Doug,

Geanavue is 176 pages long, which is a fair bit longer than the other two books (at 144 for Bluffside and 158 for Freeport). In addition, Kenzer has a long tradition of high text density in all of their books - for both the Kalamar and Hackmaster product lines. In the Kenzer tradition it's a hefty book with highly detailed information, tons of plot hooks and opportunities for danger and adventure (the type that don't force themselves on you or hit you over the head), and a focus on being a dynamic tool for the DM to use in many different ways and from many different angles

Last edited:

gubaru

First Post
Mystic Eye said:
Out of the three city books here the one I don't own is Geanavue but I do know that it has a much lower page count than Freeport and Bluffside.
Actually, I think Geanavue has the highest page count at 176 without the rumorquest part and 200+ with it. Last I heard Hal said the page count on Bluffside was 144 and my copy of Freeport has 158 pages. That combined with the fact that there are almost no crunchy bits in Geanavue, means there is a lot of detail there.

MEG Hal

First Post
Thanks Hand for an unbiased reply.....

Yes Bluffside is a neutral city with good and seedy parts.

Carl the Gary Ooze is considered a god of a crazy cult, so there is no ooze around---I like that our first "urban myth"

There are parts in the city broken into sections, so you can use any or all the sections.

Yes adamantine could be substituted for any "valued" commodity.

And it has ideas and flavor dripping from all people and places, so go take a look and hopefully you will be like the rest and enjoy the flavor and feel of Bluffside: City on the Edge:D .

Remove ads