Which Class do you hate/dislike ?

Which Class do you hate ?! (multiple choice allowed)

• Paladin... awful goody...

Votes: 37 17.4%
  • Sorceror or Wizard.. no wand waving...

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Barbarian... savages all

Votes: 26 12.2%
  • Rogue... thieves I say...

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Bard... too dandy...

Votes: 67 31.5%
  • Cleric... dont mention religion...

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Ranger... smells strange...

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • Druid... no animals in the Inn please...

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Fighter... all muscles and no brain...

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Monk... this is medieval europe !

Votes: 84 39.4%

Psychotic Jim

First Post
While I don't really HATE or even dislike any classes, I voted for the paladin simply because of all of the arguments (alignment, their code, what they can and cannot do) that having paladins in the party can lead to.

rounser

First Post
My feeling is that if you are asking this question, you are asking the wrong question and making the wrong assumptions.
Yeah, you tell em. Ninjas belong everywhere, too.

Especially psionic dark elf pirate ninjas. Woot.

Rashak Mani

First Post
D&D might not be Medieval Europe... but certainly Medieval Europe is in D&D... our history is the basis for all these fantasy worlds.

I personally feel monks should somehow be more westernized to fit in better... but overall I dont dislike Monks.

Since I started this thread here goes: I hate BARDS.... argghhh

Deedlit

First Post
Monk. I can't think of a single monk in Middle-Earth, Forgotten Realms(I know they exist in the realms, but I can't think of a single example), Dragonlance, or Lodoss. I am not that familiar with other settings, but monks only have a place in greyhawk or rokugan IMO. I don't like using bards in dungeon crawls, but they can make for interesting characters, such as Maar from the Lodoss anime.

Last edited:

Skarp Hedin

First Post
I imagine that there would be monks aplenty in Kara-Tur, on the eastern side of the continent of Faerun -- Kara-Tur was the default OA setting in 2e (such as it was). Also, in Damara north of the Moonsea, you have the Monastery of the Yellow Rose, dedicated to St. Sollars (an Ilmatarian sect) which produces monks, again from 2e (though Damara and Vaasa both are sort of import-grafts into FR from the old 1e Bloodstone modules, really).

That doesn't mean that monks aren't annoying (never DM'd one yet, nor used one for an NPC myself, I don't feel that they fit in my setting too well), but at least there's precedent for 'em in FR.

Xarlen

First Post
Actually, I could call up some Monks in FR.

Paticularly, R.A. Salvator's 'Cleric Quintet' series, Cadderly's wife, Dianca was a monk.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I don't like monks because they don't have much variation. I like the idea of a spiritual warrior. I think it would have been better if they gave the monk a list of feats to pick from (just like the fighter).

Actually, I think I'd like that about all the classes (rogue, barbarian, paladin, bard). Oh well.

Chimera

First Post
No, hong, I am in the correct thread. I was responding to the language of the Monk entry in the poll, which is a common reason people give for not liking Monks. I simply stated that I didn't agree with that logic, since my world and most others I have seen are *not* Europe.

And Rounser, I said nothing about Ninjas. Nothing at all. Pure Munchkin Toys.

hong

WotC's bitch
Chimera said:
No, hong, I am in the correct thread. I was responding to the language of the Monk entry in the poll, which is a common reason people give for not liking Monks. I simply stated that I didn't agree with that logic, since my world and most others I have seen are *not* Europe.

Since the topic of this thread is asking the question "do you hate class X", as opposed to "WHY do you hate class X", I submit that you are indeed in the wrong thread.

Remove ads