Which do you spend more time reading?

Which do you spend more time reading?

• RPG books and/or published materials

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Online websites and forums

Votes: 108 65.1%

Glyfair

Explorer
I answered the question the way I think it was meant, rather than the literal way it was worded. I spend more time on the internet reading forums. However, I'm a moderator of a forum for another, non-roleplaying game. I spend slightly more time reading RPG related materials than online reading RPG related materials.

Of course, when it comes to productivity, I get far more use out of reading RPG materials than reading online forums. Online is more arguing points and testing my thoughts before I have to use them in games.

RedWick

First Post
Glyfair said:
I answered the question the way I think it was meant, rather than the literal way it was worded. I spend more time on the internet reading forums. However, I'm a moderator of a forum for another, non-roleplaying game. I spend slightly more time reading RPG related materials than online reading RPG related materials.

Of course, when it comes to productivity, I get far more use out of reading RPG materials than reading online forums. Online is more arguing points and testing my thoughts before I have to use them in games.

Ditto, though I mostly listen to you all argue the points for me... ;)

genshou

First Post
I spend far more time on forums, mostly EN World. I need to slow down on posts long enough to read through some of the newer books I've bought O.O

the Jester

Legend
Hours every day on ENWorld, excepting only days on which I do not have web access.

Hours many days on books and adventures.

ENWorld wins. :eek: ;) :cool:

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I read websites and fora much more than I read books, but that doesn't mean the websites and fora are more important to my games.

First, I read very quickly, so any purely time-based metric is deceptive - I can knock over a D&D supplement in an hour or two if I was to read it straight through, but I enjoy flitting back and forth between different fora and different threads to read or participate in the various discussions.

Second, I almost never read or make use of actual game material published online. That's not an absolute truth, but I generally pay little attention to homebrewed classes or feats or races - so when it comes to things I use in my game, I turn to my books. I often get "flavour" ideas from forum discussions, but even then it's not often someone else's ideas as they expound them that I take away but the ideas that arise in my own head in reaction to their thoughts.

Third, the two primary reasons I come to websites and fora are a) discussion of the "meta-issues" of running a game - organisation, campaign design, and so on - and b) previews and opinion - reviews and discussion - of books I'm interested in or own.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Well 4 to 6 hours a day here compared to maybe an hour a week with my books I would say forums win hands down.

It is easier for me to read post at work than to read a book at home nowadays.

Remove ads