• Cityscape

Votes: 40 26.7%
  • None, they're all terrible!

Votes: 21 14.0%
  • Other: Please Specify

Votes: 9 6.0%

tylermalan

First Post
If you had just enough money to purchase one of the 4 environment books, which would you buy, and why?

Note that I included the new Cityscape despite the argument that it is less of an environment book than the other three. I also did NOT include Heroes of Battle or Heroes of Horror because I feel as though those are more "atmosphere" books than environment books.

Also, this poll is intended to be less about your preference ("I like desert environments a lot, so I would buy Sandstorm...") and more about which book you think is the best in terms of content.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I didn't see a poll, so I didn't vote :)

If I had to choose one, probably... Cityscape. Of all the environments I can guarantee that my PCs will, at some point, enter a city.

Greg K

Legend
Well, I can't make a decision without seeing Cityscape. Frostburn and Sandstorm are definitely not in the running- they are not even in the race. I disliked nearly everything about Frostburn and Sandstorm. In contrast, I really liked Stormwrack- it is among my favorite 3.X non-setting DND books from WOTC (I don't look at Eberron or FR)-and the list of WOTC non-setting DnD books that I like is short. However, as I wrote, I haven't seen Cityscape. Therefore, it would be unfair to rule it out.

smootrk

First Post
I have looked at all except the Cityscape (yet), and all have merits, but not enough to cause me to endorse any of them.

However, I think it was a shame that you did not include the "Heroes of" series of books. I love the stuff (most anyhow) in those books and would endorse them for someone with cash for only 1 book. They are more useful in more 'environments' because they are essentially universal flavor books (as OP mentioned).

JustKim

First Post
I hear from a lot of people that Stormwrack was the best and that Frostburn and Sandstorm are inferior. I don't understand it at all. Stormwrack was kind of a disappointment for me and doesn't really leave the shelf, while Frostburn and Sandstorm are frequently referenced. Between the two of them, I think I'd call Sandstorm my favorite because it's given me so many ideas. I think they're both great though.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I voted Frostburn, largely because I've used it more than Sandstorm, and I haven't seen much or Stormwrack, or Cityscape at all to really judge them. But I tend to dig Wolfgang's writing style, so that gets Frostburn a bonus in my book.

DJCupboard

Explorer
From what I've read off store shelves (not quite living up to the OP cash requirements, myself) I would choose stormwrack or cityscape. What I would actually do is go onto the wizard's site and download copies of all the articles from their old environment series and put it all in one binder.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I only have Frostburn and Stormwrack (although I'm planning on the others eventually). Stormwrack is by far the more useful to me, and its crunch is especially good, whereas I found some of the Frostburn crunch a little goofy. Stormwrack nicely compliments Freeport or Savage Tide games as well.

Remove ads