• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Essentials class do you like the most?

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
So please, read the thread title and respond to the actual topic.

So tempted to ladle a huge gob of snark....

So far I've played an human evoker mage and a shade thief for a session of Encounters each. They were enjoyable, but I can't really comment on them since my play experience was so limited.

I've also played two knights: a dwarf and an eladrin. The dwarf was the standard build from the book for two Encounters campaigns and he was a blast to play. Hammer hands is loads of fun.

The eladrin knight I play currently in a home game, using the dragon supplemental material. He's multiclassed with swordmage so not pure essentials, but is by far my favorite character in 4E to date. The teleporting and free melee basics are too much fun, especially in glimmering blade stance. We've just hit 4th level but this character looks to have a lot of fun potential yet untapped.

I run a game using essentials only races and classes currently going though the Harkenwold adventure in the DM's box. The players seem to be enjoying their characters so far.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
The only one I've played so far was a Sun warpriest from 21-26 or so. It was pretty decent, though it felt odd to be wearing heavy armor and not be encouraged to have high Str.

I'd kill to play a Thief, though, maybe multiclass into Spiked Chain and do Sneak Attack Backstabs with Reach.

Brad

BobTheNob

First Post
Love em all, but overall have to say the Hunter. Pure elegance of design, it just worked.

I would also give special mention to the executioner, never got the chance to play (with) one, but on paper I giggled with delight when I read that the first time.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I've had a lot of fun with the Hunter. It's a little boring once you've seen multiples - they all tend to feel exactly the same - but it's a fun class to play.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I really enjoyed playing my hunter; nice mixture of control with a strong secondary striker (maybe that's why the bladesinger seems very appealing to me). I can't wait until I get the chance to retrain my human at-will to twin strike and add a theme.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I haven't had a chance to play any essential classes but I really want to play an executioner and the vampire. I love the executioner's in- and out-of-combat uses for their poisons. (Although I wish they had a more interesting at-will than the -4 to the first poison save.) And I think the vampire class captured vampireness well and with their unique healing dynamic could be an interesting class to play.

Moorcrys

Explorer
I've played a few sessions using a sun warpriest, and a couple using the sentinel Druid with summons as his dailies. I've been having a blast.

I've played a Mage (enchanter) and two kinds of hexblades (infernal and gloom) for one session apiece. Haven't been able to get into them too far but they're definitely pretty flavorful and I had fun.

They've been just as much fun as my infernal warlock and eladrin taclord anyway. :)

Cheers.

Haven't played with them much, but I do really like the Thief's gimmick and the Mage is just straight up great. I'll have to play the Thief more to make a real judgment, but it was certainly fun at the table in my brief exposure.

I'll probably try a hunter at some point, too, though I still have many pre-essentials characters I want to get to that are at least as compelling.

Chris Knapp

First Post
I really enjoyed playing my hunter; nice mixture of control with a strong secondary striker (maybe that's why the bladesinger seems very appealing to me). I can't wait until I get the chance to retrain my human at-will to twin strike and add a theme.
Ditto. My human crossbow hunter at-will is Nimble Strike with Harrowing Swarm Student so it adds Rattling to any damage. Very helpful to my defender.

Droogie128

First Post
I like the Blackguard a lot. It's the toughest striker there is, and manages to be a competent one, too.

I want to try a Blackguard /Fighter/Dreadnought. That would basically end up with the DM constantly yelling "Why won't you die?!!!".

Good times :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Remove ads