• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which is better CRPG?

NWN2 or DA:O which is better?

• NWN2

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • DA:O

Votes: 31 93.9%

Steel_Wind

Legend
I prefer DA:O for story and graphics reasons, sure, but the biggest reason is one that I have done a 180 on over the years.

When NWN1 first came out, I was still expecting a BG2 experience. The lack of real party controls killed me. (It also killed a lot of our mod ideas at the time too, but it took a while for that to really sink in.)

So I thought the whole party control aspect was what I missed most. Just give me party control, and I'm golden, I said.

Well I got it NWN2. And...and I was wrong. I didn't like it near as much as I thought I would. I just...got it wrong.

That's what I thought for several years - and when DA:O gave us back a party that was nicely controlled by the computer -- except when you needed it to be otherwise -- it confirmed it. Turns out, I far preferred the more "single player with AI fallback" in DA:O, as opposed to the less fulsome approach for the same party control in NWN2.

To be honest though - the game I preferred over either was the one you didn't list: My fave of the modern "three best FRPGs" would be The Witcher.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I find that NWN2 is more based on original DND (as opposed to the weird half-dnd half mainstream DA). If they were going to make a sequel or even another DND based game then it would either have 4e powers (which DA doesnt have) or 3.5e magic (which DA doesnt have). How can they be claiming to have learnt from NWN2 if they have dropped all the DND stuff in order to make the game more mainstream (and therefore get more money). Seems like a cop-out to me. Is there even a single CRPG in development that is based on the big daddy of tabletop RPGs or have they forgotten their roots?
Frankly, who cares. They are different hobbies. Whatever works best for each is, IMO, what should be done. And really, it's probably a matter of licensing or whatever. Or perhaps those guys don't even like 4e. Who knows. And, like I said. . .

For that matter, I am rather sick of all the 'crossover' that goes on among the geek / tech / mainstream entertainment fields. I mean, the sheer bulk of it, the nonsensical and totally pointless instances. . . but anyway.

Of course DA has better graphics but super-hyped up NWN2 graphics arent exactly rubbish. If people complain that the graphics make it less realistic then they are stupid since the MAGIC and DRAGONS are unrealistic anyway.
Um. I'm not sure *who* has claimed that poorer graphics make for a less realistic game. . . though I'm sure that it has happened on the internets, naturally. Even so, calling them stupid (whoever they are) mightn't be the surest bet, when it comes to. . . what, winning an argument somewhere? :hmm:

Fridayknight

First Post
Im not saying that DAO is a bad game because of its better graphics or non-dndishness its just that it seems like the game industry spends too much time making rubbish (eg Avatar the game) and not enough trying to set up a storyline (on the whole) that is suited to the system.

John Crichton

First Post
Im not saying that DAO is a bad game because of its better graphics or non-dndishness its just that it seems like the game industry spends too much time making rubbish (eg Avatar the game) and not enough trying to set up a storyline (on the whole) that is suited to the system.
What does that have to do with Dragon Age? Or NWN?

What does that have to do with Dragon Age? Or NWN?
Well, if we're speaking of flaws of these two games, it doesn't really fit.

I think my biggest issue with NWN 2 only revealed itself when we were playing the second expansion. The slow load times mixed with random encounters when traveling the map was killing the game for me.

But I don't think that has anything to with "setting up storylines" vs "better graphics". ;)

Fridayknight

First Post
Ok, fine it doesnt fit maybe and btw im talking about gameplay in the original campaign (not the expansions or your slow loading times). It looks like the votes are one sided so this page should be locked or deleted.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
While waiting for the "Return to Ostagar" expansion, I went back to playing NWN2, and while I still liked it, I was surprised at how much less intuitive the controls were compared to DA:O. I still keep trying to control my characters as though they were in Dragon Age, much to my frustration when they go in the wrong direction.

Remove ads