• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which laptop should I buy?

CrimsonScribe

First Post
I work for an IBM Business Partner and we've been using their notebooks for many years (even before we were a BP in fact).

The big difference in the graphics cards is that the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 "borrows" its memory from the actual system (meaning that 256Mb will only be about 224Mb-240Mb) while the ATI has 32Mb of dedicated memory.

If you can manage it, I would SERIOUSLY look at increasing the memory to 512Mb - especially on the R51. 256Mb just doesn't give Windows XP enough room to properly stretch its legs.

Krieg

First Post
IBM's "T" series is their main corporate line of machines while those in the "R" series are generally less rugged and aimed more at the consumer market.

I have a T40 that I have been extremely happy with. It's an excellent machine that has given me no problems.

Y.O.Morales said:
I'll probably go with the R51, since my gf burns CDs often and it's cheaper, but really, the R51's graphic card worries me. I don't know the diference between the two cards.

You can upgrade to a DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive on teh T42 for $159. While that is a tad steep, you can probably find a drive on eBay for considerably less.

I actually have a CD-RW from a T30. If both machines have the same ultra-bay I will be more than happy to let you have it relatively cheaply. :)

Y.O.Morales

First Post
I don't need to worry for the graphic card. She won't be playing games or anything like that, and the IBM Extreme Graphics 2 will be enough.

So, I'll go for the R51 with a RAM upgrade to 512.

Thank you all.

OK, I've been looking at buying a new laptop as well, but I want one almost entirely for gaming and playing DVDs. So, what are some of the better ones out there? Now that Battle for Middle Earth is out, I'd like to be able to play it (my current computers certainly won't). What are some of the better graphics cards out there?

CrimsonScribe

First Post
The "catch" with any laptop that is "designed for games" is that they aren't really laptops.

Most of the machines in this category are known as "Desktop Replacements" - that is they use desktop components in a laptop case which does absolutely nothing as far as heat, power consumption and weight (that Dell is 9lbs!) are concerned.

reanjr

First Post
Y.O.Morales said:
Hi everyone:

Christmas is around the corner and I'll be responsible for giving a laptop to my girlfriend as her gift. But, which one should I buy?

Dell or Vaio?

Any other recommendations?

If you want bells and whistles, Vaio. If you want a lasting piece of equipment, Vaio.

If you want to be able to use it without being plugged in...

You better be looking elsewhere.

If there is no particular reason you are limited to Dell and Vaio, I would suggest a Fujitsu or IBM if you are not planning on playing Doom 3 on it. Both companies produce well priced systems that last and last. And their battery life is usually something like 400% that of their competitors.

On the other hand, if you are going to game with it, then you should look into Alien Ware. Dell and Sony are sort of middle ground models that are rarely the best for anyone, but decent for everyone.

Note: I worked at Best Buy as a service tech, and so I've seen and worked with them all (although I didn't see any Dells there, I have used them elsewhere). I have also seen how long they last. Never even THINK about getting a Compaq/HP. I've owned three Compaqs (bought one, other two were replacements from service plan), my ex owned one Compaq and two HPs (again, bought one), and her sister owned two HPs (bought one). This happened before my stint at Best Buy.

reanjr

First Post
Krieg said:
Still, having a multitide of little pock marks in your laptop isn't a confidence builder.

On the contrary, I always admire IBM laptops when I see cable service techs lugging them around because they look like they are held together by duct tape, yet the thing still runs beautifully. It's what's on the inside that counts. ;)

Remove ads