Which of these old school modules are worth getting?

Which of the following modules are worth buying?

• B6 Veiled Society

Votes: 14 12.6%
  • C1 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • C2 Ghost Tower of Inverness

Votes: 59 53.2%
  • I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City

Votes: 61 55.0%
  • I2 Tomb of the Lizard King

Votes: 38 34.2%
  • N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

Votes: 69 62.2%
  • X2 Castle Amber

Votes: 51 45.9%
  • X8 Drums on Fire Mountain

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • X12 Skarda's Miror

Votes: 7 6.3%

• Poll closed .

Derro

First Post
You missed L1: Bone Hill and L2: The Assassin's Knot.

Bone Hill is a great starting sandbox. There is so much to do in that module. It recommends a short level spread (2-4) but with a little alteration you can get the first 6 levels out of that one no problem.

The Assassin's Knot is not as good as Bone Hill but if you set things up right it makes for a great follow-up. There's a lot of focus on the 1e Assassin and its abilities which can make for a great political game if that is to your taste.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
You missed . . . L2: The Assassin's Knot.

The Assassin's Knot is not as good as Bone Hill but if you set things up right it makes for a great follow-up. There's a lot of focus on the 1e Assassin and its abilities which can make for a great political game if that is to your taste.
Um, I actually mentioned that one in my original post.

the Jester

Legend
I voted for everything except the B and X modules, which (except for Castle Amber) I never played. So I voted for everything I played or ran except for Castle Amber.

grodog

Hero
What I'm looking for is to find out which of the 10 modules listed in the poll would be easiest to incorporate into a homebrewed world.

What are these modules' strengths and what are their weaknesses? How hard would they be to convert to v.3.5, based on your personal experiences?

I voted for about half of the modules, but that's mostly based on my sense of their general coolness/etc. vs. how well they would mesh with your campaign world. If you provide some more details on that, I'm sure we can provide better suggestions. That said....

Okay, I'm thinking about getting a few of the older D&D modules to incorporate them into my World of Kulan campaign world. These are the only ones I'm really considering at the moment.

If you're going to consider running S4, you should consider picking up WG5 as well, since they're a related pair (not really sequels, but cousins). To your list of classics, I would also consider adding:

- WG5/Maure Castle: the Dungeon 112/124/139 version, already 3.5-ready, and expanded beyond Rob Kuntz's original
- G1-3/D1-3: Gygax's classic series
- S1 original version: the freebie conversion on the WotC site way powered it down

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
If you're going to consider running S4, you should consider picking up WG5 as well, since they're a related pair (not really sequels, but cousins). To your list of classics, I would also consider adding:

- WG5/Maure Castle: the Dungeon 112/124/139 version, already 3.5-ready, and expanded beyond Rob Kuntz's original
I don't know if I want to put Maure Castle in my campaign world. It is so classically Greyhawk. I'd probably second guess where I'd want to place it in my world. It's the same reason I haven't decided where to put Temple of Elemental Evil.

- G1-3/D1-3: Gygax's classic series
Um, one important note about Kulan: there are no drow. I'm not sure about the G series. I have a very specific view of giants for my campaign and I'm not sure that the G series matches that view. It's possible, I guess.

- S1 original version: the freebie conversion on the WotC site way powered it down
Tomb of Horrors... man, I'd love to run that modue, but I don't think it has a place on Kulan.

As you can tell, I'm very fussy about which published modules are incorporated in my campaign world.

Derro

First Post
Um, I actually mentioned that one in my original post.

Yes, you are correct. I think I just got to voting and noted that you didn't have Bone Hill, one of TSR's greatest modules ever.

Not to be a prick but The Assassin's Knot without Bonehill is sort of like, oh I don't know, Needle.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Yes, you are correct. I think I just got to voting and noted that you didn't have Bone Hill, one of TSR's greatest modules ever.

Not to be a prick but The Assassin's Knot without Bonehill is sort of like, oh I don't know, Needle.
True. ;)

Note that I have The Assassin's Knot, but I wouldn't likely run it without Bone Hill.

Baron Opal

First Post
I downloaded N2, I2 and I1 from RPGNow a few years ago (or whatever it was called then) and I made a great mini-campaign from them. The whole theme was "reptile uprising" where the ancient Yuan-ti rise again to reclaim their rightful place and put those milk-sucking mammals back in theirs. It was awesome.

If I remember correctly, I also ran it under the Arcana Unearthed ruleset, so it became interesting when one of the players made a mojh.

Remove ads