Which of these old school modules are worth getting?

Which of the following modules are worth buying?

• B6 Veiled Society

Votes: 14 12.6%
  • C1 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • C2 Ghost Tower of Inverness

Votes: 59 53.2%
  • I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City

Votes: 61 55.0%
  • I2 Tomb of the Lizard King

Votes: 38 34.2%
  • N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

Votes: 69 62.2%
  • X2 Castle Amber

Votes: 51 45.9%
  • X8 Drums on Fire Mountain

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • X12 Skarda's Miror

Votes: 7 6.3%

• Poll closed .

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Initial point, you may want to run a parallel poll to determine which of the modules folks have seen and or played. There may be a bias on the selections against certain modules because they are less frequently seen, that does not reflect on the quality of the modules.

I would also clarify as to why the modules are being purchased.

That being said, for playability, I think L1 (which was not listed) is tops, as is X8, Drums on Fire Mountain (which I suspect that folks aren't familiar with).

L1 has a nice amount of encounter space and plot to work through. My only caveat is that you must be very careful about the encounter levels, as these are sometimes much higher than the recommended level range.

X8 is one of my all time favorite modules. It was produced by the UK branch, and has terrific artwork, terrific maps, and a very nice set of encounters. I started to run it once, but was sadly unable to continue the game and have never had a chance again.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I would also clarify as to why the modules are being purchased.
Um, because I like modules that I can use in my homebrewed world. also, I like to collect books, but I have limited resources right now. Therefore, I want to buy modules that I can actually use or at least mine for ideas.

X8 is one of my all time favorite modules. It was produced by the UK branch, and has terrific artwork, terrific maps, and a very nice set of encounters. I started to run it once, but was sadly unable to continue the game and have never had a chance again.
If you don't mind, can you supply me with a good overview of X8? What sets it apart? Why is one of your all time favorite modules?

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
The DCC module "The Mysterious Tower" is (if I recall correctly) fairly similar to "Ghost Tower of Inverness." Also, there's a HackMaster version of Inverness called "Demon Tower of Madness."

I don't know if there was an AD&D 2e conversion of Inverness, but just with that material alone you could create a pretty rich, custom version of the location for your own adventure with a variety of art to display.

knasser

First Post
Wow! Skarda's Mirror! That takes me back a loooooong way. My defining memory is, despite my hiding the rather nice cover with a woman getting sucked into a mirror, the player's immediately saying on hearing the title: "A mirror? I bet you get sucked through it into a different world." Heh! Was annoyed by that when I was little.

I remember it being enjoyable and having a good plot. The episode in the tower with the mirror beast was lots of fun. There are specific references to the old D&D boxed set campaign setting, i.e. the archduke of Karameikos (wow - I actually remember this), but should be easily adaptable. I think it would probably make quite a good 4e adventure and it's certainly pretty plug-and-play. I vote Skarda's Mirror.

The Highway Man

First Post
Not much to add in comparison to others' posts here, but since you ask for feedback on this, let me just say that I think all of them are worth getting. I would just put a caveat on X2 Castle Amber due to the goofiness of it all. If that too is your thing, then buy them all.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Well, today is the day that I've set aside to visit my FLUGS and decide which old school modules to buy. The store, Whyte Knight, has TONS of old modules from almsot every edition so I think I'll be able to find what I want.

However, since the store's owner puts a premium on old school stuff, I won't be ble to buy them all. (He charges as much as $20 to $25 for each module; although, if the store has more than one copy, he changes less for the third or fourth copies. Plus, it depends on the moduels condition.)

I'm leaning towards getting C1 and C2. I1 sounds interesting and I might get S4 since so many people swear by it. I'm not sure about that one, however. B6 is the wild card since it deals with an organization based in the Known World kingdom known as Karameikos. I already have that kingdom in my campaign world so getting it might be worthwhile, if WK has it.

Cheers!

Knightfall

DaveyJones

First Post
Yes, you are correct. I think I just got to voting and noted that you didn't have Bone Hill, one of TSR's greatest modules ever.

Not to be a prick but The Assassin's Knot without Bonehill is sort of like, oh I don't know, Needle.

bone hill and needle are still available for free as downloads from wotc.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
UPDATE!

Okay, so I'm back from my run around the city and I picked up 4 old school modules from Whyte Knight -- B6, C1, C2, and I1. I decided against getting S4. I paid roughly CAN $16.50 (US $13.21) per module, which is a pretty good deal since I talked the store's owner down by about 8 bucks for all four books.

I would have bought more except that I decided to take the plunge and buy the 4e Manual of the Planes (at a different store). As a bonus, they gave me the new Freeport poster map for FREE. :cool:

It was a good day. ;)

Of all the old school modules that I listed in the poll, only X8 and X12 weren't available. I seriously considered I2 but decided to go with C2 instead. Still, I might still get it. Hmm, now that I think about it, I don't think they had N1 either.

I'll have to take a closer look at the modules in the bin the next time I'm there. :p

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Tsojcanth is LOADED. A monster zoo? More like Caves of Chaos on acid.

As noted WG5, Tharizdun, is related and also good, though with a somewhat different feel and not quite as loaded. I hope you can still buy both.

EDIT: The 4E Manual of the Planes is also nice.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
As noted WG5, Tharizdun, is related and also good, though with a somewhat different feel and not quite as loaded. I hope you can still buy both.
The store did have a copy of WG5, but it wasn't one of the modules I was considering at the moment, so I didn't seriously look at it.

I'm always surprised at how many old school modules WK has available on a regular basis. And the store usually has multiple copies of some of the most famous modules. (There were 3 copies of C2.)

The store always has some of the modules from the A series, B series, D series, DL series, G series, I series, UK series, WG series, and X series. There were even a couple of the compiled modules in the store including A1-4 Scourge of the Slave Lords, B1-9 In Search of Adventure, G-1-2-3 Against the Giants (I think...), and T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil.

Remove ads