• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which of these six is the best H.P. Lovecraft story?

Which of these six would you choose?

• The Call of Cthulhu

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • At the Mountains of Madness

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • The Shadow Over Innsmouth

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • The Nameless City

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • The Dunwich Horror

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • The Dreams in the Witch House

Votes: 6 7.4%

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Never heard it actually said in a New England accent. Guessing it should be more like "Innsmth" or "Innsmuth"?
Yes, the vowel in the second half is almost entirely elided.

It would be Inns muth/inns muhth most likely. Just like Plymouth or Portsmouth
Indeed.

What, haven't you been to Wor-chest-er?

Or Glow-chest-er?

Or Lie-chest-er?

Gaelic pronunciations tend to take a couple of letters from the beginning and a couple from the end, then add in some randoms from the middle if a particularly long word. Can't speak for Yorkshire.
If you want a non-joke answer, I think both names are Scandinavian in origin. It's not Gaelic - Dun Eideann is the Gaelic name.

What, haven't you been to Wor-chest-er?

Or Glow-chest-er?

Or Lie-chest-er?

Lol. I've been to Worcester and Gloucester.

If people can't even pronounce Peabody correctly, there is no hope for place names like Leicester. I think even in Massachusetts a third of the people probably don't pronounce that one right

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Lol. I've been to Worcester and Gloucester.

If people can't even pronounce Peabody correctly, there is no hope for place names like Leicester. I think even in Massachusetts a third of the people probably don't pronounce that one right
Peebuhddy and lester* are both easy once you know.

(*Or lesstah if your Massachusetts or old-timey New Hampshire accent is a little stronger.)

Remove ads