• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which of these six is the best H.P. Lovecraft story?

Which of these six would you choose?

• The Call of Cthulhu

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • At the Mountains of Madness

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • The Shadow Over Innsmouth

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • The Nameless City

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • The Dunwich Horror

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • The Dreams in the Witch House

Votes: 6 7.4%

Love this show. It was my gateway into the Pleasant Green Universe—an impressive series of interconnected fictional podcasts (what used to be called radio plays) all created by Julian Simpson.

As for the short stories, I voted "Innsmouth" of the options provided, but I'm of the view that "The Color Out of Space" is HPL's masterpiece.
I thought it also would be a useful resource for a modern Delta Green, when you have the guy freaking out and shouting Pleasant Green into the phone because he knows, for some reason, it's an ECHELON trigger word.

Voadam

Legend
I highly, highly recommend the BBC podcast called the Lovecraft Investigations. They update The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, the Whisperer in Darkness, and Shadows over Innsmouth and connect them under the premise of being a true crime podcast. It's well acted, it's really solid.

And since it's the BBC, they definitely spent some coin on it. BBC Radio 4 - The Lovecraft Investigations
I heard a BBC radio production of the original Shadows over Innsmouth and it was fantastic, except for the pronunciation of "Inns Mouth" which was incredibly jarring to my New England ears. And I am not even from "Ply Mouth."

Ryujin

Legend
I heard a BBC radio production of the original Shadows over Innsmouth and it was fantastic, except for the pronunciation of "Inns Mouth" which was incredibly jarring to my New England ears. And I am not even from "Ply Mouth."
Never heard it actually said in a New England accent. Guessing it should be more like "Innsmth" or "Innsmuth"?

I highly, highly recommend the BBC podcast called the Lovecraft Investigations. They update The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, the Whisperer in Darkness, and Shadows over Innsmouth and connect them under the premise of being a true crime podcast. It's well acted, it's really solid.

And since it's the BBC, they definitely spent some coin on it. BBC Radio 4 - The Lovecraft Investigations

I listened to this and its excellent

Have you seen the recent movie "The Color out of Space" starring Nicolas Cage?

I've seen parts of it. Based on what I've seen it wasn't as good as the German version of Color Out of Space that came out 9 years prior.

Speaking of Lovecraft movies, has anybody else seen Whisperer In Darkness? That was one of the best Lovecraft movies.

The Call of Cthulhu is the seminal and celebrated work, while At The Mountains of Madness is the only novella-length work.

I think The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath was longer

EDIT:
Has anyone else seen the weird limited animation Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath movie that came out like 20 years ago?

Last edited:

Andvari

Hero
I thought the Color out of Space movie was alright, but I thought it was quite lame they went with modern-day.

The Dunwich Horror is probably the story I've liked the most, but I haven't played any of the game books.

I think the success rate for pronunciation of New England place names for people outside New England is around 30%

Remove ads