• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whirtlestaff's Wizards' Academy Revisited, IC02

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
]ooc[ maybe kerlan was going for a flasy way of dispelling the web?]/ooc[

IC:
while Kerlan and tylara and the dwarves speak, Capizzio examins the door @ AH/AI, 13,14. checking it for traps, checking it to see if it is locked and will try to open it.

check for traps (search), disable divice and pick locks

1d20+6=15, 1d20+12=17, 1d20+11=19

"uh, you mean this door?" he asks after several minutes

Leif

Adventurer
Capizzio finds no traps, so the disable device is unnecessary. He is unable, so far, to open the lock, however. Wow, that is some lock!

Scott DeWar

"wow," says Capizzio," that is some lock. Well, I may need some help. wait, give just a couple of minutes here ..."

takeing a 20: gives a total of 31
[sblock=taking a 20]
Taking 20

When you have plenty of time (generally 2 minutes for a skill that can normally be checked in 1 round, one full-round action, or one standard action), you are faced with no threats or distractions, and the skill being attempted carries no penalties for failure, you can take 20. In other words, eventually you will get a 20 on 1d20 if you roll enough times. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, just calculate your result as if you had rolled a 20.

Taking 20 means you are trying until you get it right, and it assumes that you fail many times before succeeding. Taking 20 takes twenty times as long as making a single check would take.

Since taking 20 assumes that the character will fail many times before succeeding, if you did attempt to take 20 on a skill that carries penalties for failure, your character would automatically incur those penalties before he or she could complete the task. Common “take 20” skills include Escape Artist, Open Lock, and Search. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Korbin now says, "Hey, Torbin, tell them about the deal."

Torbin then says, "Ahh, yes! We've just been talking these past few minutes, and we are very grateful to you for rescuing us from these hobgoblins. Once we get our shop established in Pembrose, which we will call "Two Dwarves Fine Weapons", we will gladly give to each of you two of our finest quality weapons of your choice! And we will also give to you each a 35% discount for life. All we ask is that you give us one month to get established in business first, please."

(OOC: Masterwork quality!)

"In that case I wish you well in your business endeavors. If you can use any of the weapons or other mundane gear laying about the castle to get your business started, I won't object to you taking it. But first tell us a little about your experiences here. What were the hobgoblins up to, besides trying to open that door." Glancing at Capizzio still toying with the lock she begins to see why they took the digging approach.

Leif

Adventurer
OOC: 31 is sufficient, but not by too much. Capizzio, after tinkering for an extended time, is able to spring the lock on the iron door.

Torbin says to Tylara, "Well, we've heard some things in our time here, but not much. One thing has been repeated references to a tribe of orcs known as the White Fist Orcs. And we have also heard that Soceress mention in passing the name Larin Karr. He seems to have been one of her idols or something, but she always spoke of that name in the past tense. Evidently, he left a vault somewhere in or under the valley that legends say contain a great wealth of riches and magic."

"Oh, and thank you, but we are not interested in any of the hobgoblins' gear. Korbin and I have much higher standards than that, and we are not warriors anyway, we are Artists of the Blade! Sculptors, if you will."

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Tylara

"Well, lets see what sort of can of worms you've opened now." Tylara pulls her sword and goes to Capizzio's side.

KerlanRayne

Explorer
Torbin says to Tylara, "we have also heard that Soceress mention in passing the name Larin Karr. He seems to have been one of her idols or something, but she always spoke of that name in the past tense. Evidently, he left a vault somewhere in or under the valley that legends say contain a great wealth of riches and magic."
"Hmmm. Yes, we have heard the name Karr as well. A drow wizard that is supposedly dead. This is the first we have heard about a treasure though."
"What do you know about this well? It seems to have moving water at the bottom."

Scott DeWar

*click*
"Aha! Can of worms? this is no can of worms."
the door now being unlocked capizzio smiles, beads of sweat from the effort on his brow.

He takes a step back, draws his rapier in on hand and flexes the fingers on the other.

"ready." he announces, his hand on the door knob. "So there might be an underground chamber hiding this drow's tomb, eh? mom and dad would be proud of me if i were a part of finding that. The surface elves would also want to know of this tomb for its statistical value in fighting the drow.

And sorry i wasn't able to save you the trouble of digging." he says this last to the two dwarves.

Leif

Adventurer
"Hmmm. Yes, we have heard the name Karr as well. A drow wizard that is supposedly dead. This is the first we have heard about a treasure though."
"What do you know about this well? It seems to have moving water at the bottom."
"The 'well'," says Korbin, "Is a hole that goes down to an underground river running beneath these passages. There is also another way to get down to it, but I believe that route must be hidden behind a secret door, because we've never actually seen it."

Scotley

Hero
Tylara

"An underground river you say? I wonder if it could provide access to the this long lost Drow's tomb? I believe these dwarves are providing as many questions as answers." She stands ready to check out the room beyond the door Capizzio has opened.

Remove ads