• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WHITE DWARF Magazine monster index

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Garnfellow said:
WD 6 (April/May 1978), "A Place in the Wilderness": Dragon spider (Lewis Pulsipher), Termagant (Lewis Pulsipher), Blue Horror (Lewis Pulsipher), Striding Murderer (Lewis Pulsipher), Longhorned Murderer (Lewis Pulsipher), Fiend (Lewis Pulsipher), Jugger (Lewis Pulsipher).
The creatures in this article are all "dragons" based on Jack Vance's novel The Dragon Masters, so it might be more accurate to list them as:
  • Dragon, Spider
  • Dragon, Termagant
  • Dragon, Blue Horror
  • Dragon, Striding Murderer
  • Dragon, Longhorned Murderer
  • Dragon, Fiend
Note that the table of stats incorrectly lists the Longhorned Murderer as "Longhorned Murder". Also, although it is referred to in the text and has a picture, the Jugger does not seem to have any statistics including in the article. (I suspect that they were accidentally dropped from the table during lay-out.)

There are also very basic stats for four types of humans from the same setting: Tracker, Heavy Trooper, Weaponer and Giant. I don't think those are significant enough to warrant including in the index though.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Garnfellow said:
WD 5 (Feb/March 1978), "Fiend Factory": Beholder Variant, Fuzzy, Beholder Variant, Steely, Demon, Gremlin, Demon, Bogy, Demon, Imps, Demon, Iron Demon, Cyborg, Cyclops, Manta, Cynopard, Banth, Kzin, Mobil DissThreepGoldeater.
Another update: These creatures come from an article that predates the "Fiend Factory" (which started in issue #6) called "Monsters Mild & Malign". One creature from the article (the Sphex) is missing from this list, and neither the gremlin nor the bogy is a demon, based on the descriptions.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Garnfellow said:
WD 4 (Dec 1977/Jan 1978), "Monsters Mild and Malign (Predecessor to Fiend Factory): Part I:": ???.
Creatures appearing in this article are: Glitch, Droll, Smoke Creature, Smoke Demon, Typo, Mind Drain, Ibem, Black Leech, Black Monk, Black Orc and Death Snake. Note that these creatures (and the ones in the follow-up article in issue #5) are not original to White Dwarf, but a compilation of D&D-compatible critters that first appeared in even more obscure sources, including Dungeoneer, Alarums & Excursions, News from Bree and Owl & Weasel.

Also, I now have a new least favourite D&D creature ever -- the typo. This is an invisible, untouchable, invulnerable monster that causes spelling mistakes in spells cast nearby, such that a "sleep" spell instead summons a herd of "sheep". Ugh. Please don't anyone ever bother converting that one ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Echohawk said:
Also, I now have a new least favourite D&D creature ever -- the typo. This is an invisible, untouchable, invulnerable monster that causes spelling mistakes in spells cast nearby, such that a "sleep" spell instead summons a herd of "sheep". Ugh. Please don't anyone ever bother converting that one ;)

Can you provide the stats so we can get going on the conversion? :p

Garnfellow

Explorer
Echohawk said:
Creatures appearing in this article are: Glitch, Droll, Smoke Creature, Smoke Demon, Typo, Mind Drain, Ibem, Black Leech, Black Monk, Black Orc and Death Snake. Note that these creatures (and the ones in the follow-up article in issue #5) are not original to White Dwarf, but a compilation of D&D-compatible critters that first appeared in even more obscure sources, including Dungeoneer, Alarums & Excursions, News from Bree and Owl & Weasel.

Holy crap that sounds cool. I don't suppose you have a scan of that article?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Garnfellow said:
Thanks to your help, I've posted a conversion of the death snake from issue 4 to my site:
As well as trying to sneak in a conversion of the acrophid, I see ;). I've added both of those additions to the Frilond site to my index.

Remove ads