[White Wolf] Demon: the Fallen

SSS-Druid

First Post
Kamard said:
My favourite part was when the employee-by-proxy of said company came and made a sarcastically bitter reply to the above. I love it when that happens.

Hmmm. Upon careful rereading of the thread, you're right. That's my favorite part, too. :-D

Talaysen

First Post
Let me start by saying that I think the name of this particular WoD game was a poor choice, and while I don't know and can't say what factors went into that decision, I'd be disappointed - but not surprised - if shock value was one of them.

That said: give this game a chance.

A friend of mine bought it recently, and after hearing what he has to say about it, and peering over his shoulder as he's read it at the dinner table, I must say that I'm impressed. I fully intend to borrow or perhaps temporarily confiscate my friend's copy once he's done with it and give it a closer look, but from what I've come to understand so far, this game is much deeper than it may initially appear to be. This isn't about playing the ultimate bad guy and running around causing mayhem - it can be, if that's the will of your group, but if so you're missing out.

This isn't about playing beings of pure evil. It's about playing beings who may be pure evil, but may just as well have fallen from grace because they refuse to play by the rules. Remember what the road to hell is paved with? That sort of thing can certainly come into play here.

I haven't even had a chance to read the full book yet and I already have a few ideas for chronicles floating around in my head. That's how much it's impressed me.

I'm not going to tell you to rush out and buy it, nor am I going to tell you to boycott it. I don't like to make those judgments until I've had a chance to examine a given book thoroughly. What I am saying, though, is - give it a chance. Don't be so quick to pass judgment. I have a good feeling about this game.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Talaysen said:
This isn't about playing beings of pure evil. It's about playing beings who may be pure evil, but may just as well have fallen from grace because they refuse to play by the rules. Remember what the road to hell is paved with? That sort of thing can certainly come into play here..

So why don't they just call it Human: The Angst-ridden?

Talaysen

First Post
Well...'cause it's not about humans, it's about fallen angels...there are powers and such...

Maybe they could have broken with the oft-ridiculed "Creature: The Something" naming tradition and simply called it "Fallen" or what have you.

Kamard

First Post
Talaysen said:
Maybe they could have broken with the oft-ridiculed "Creature: The Something" naming tradition and simply called it "Fallen" or what have you.

Copyright infringement from the movie of the same name, similarly about a formless demon?

Talaysen

First Post
Yeah, I was thinking there might have been a movie with that title but I wasn't sure. (I don't watch many horror movies.) In any event, all I was really trying to say is that they don't have to stick to that tired old naming convention of theirs, and I kind of wish they wouldn't.

...actually, I don't know if that would be copyright infringement. It seems like there's something in place which would allow White Wolf to use that title for an RPG. Of course, the company behind that film could still sue them and drain the corporate coffers, so it would probably still be a bad idea.

SSS-Druid

First Post
Imagine a place that is formless. Imagine being an emanation of the Supreme Being, a servant of the Almighty God, and helping God to shape all of reality.

Molecules? That's your handy-work. The way electricity travels through certain metals? You know the guy responsible for that.

Then imagine that God creates Man, and tells you: "Love them. Love them as you love Me."

An instrument of God's will, you do so, loving them with all your essence as one of the Elohim. They starve, you teach them to find food. They shiver, you teach them to make fire.

But God says: "No! You must not reveal yourself to them! Your presence must remain ever apart!"

It is then that you realize that you serve a Mad God, who commands you into such a paradoxical corner that you have no choice but to Rebel.

A full third of the heavenly hosts - the Elohim - rebel against Heaven and are defeated. You remember that War. You participated in it.

You, along with the rest of the Fallen, are cast into Hell, a place, formless, to dwell in solitude for ten millenia.

Then, one day, the gates of Hell are cast open by a reality-rending wind, and you are free. But you are not the creature that you once were, and you are forced to seek sanctuary within the mortal shell of a human, lest Hell draw you back into its depths.

You are now a composite creature, with the memories of one of the very Architects of Creation, as well as those of the spiritually numb person whose flesh you wear.

Imagine that many of your kind escaped Hell, and all of them have goals. Some simply wish to subsist on the worship of humans. Others wish to carry out their old duties in a twisted mockery of what they once were. Others wish to free the rest of the Fallen from Hell.

And others yet wish to once more storm the Gates of Heaven.

That, my friends, is Demon: the Fallen .

Graveyard Greg

First Post
Talaysen said:
Yeah, I was thinking there might have been a movie with that title but I wasn't sure.

Yeah, there was a movie called Fallen. Starred Denzel Washington and John Goodman. Not too bad, but in the end, it was hokey.

And Joe, your review sounds like a lot of TV Evangelists. Dunno why. :D

Remove ads