Who bought the RPG license for the Star Wars Universe?

Zaran

Adventurer
The title says it all. A couple years ago WotC let the license expire. Last year someone announced that they did not get the license but someone else did. Then no other information came out after that.

So who bought the RPG license for the Star Wars Universe?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
My money is on Fantasy Flight Games. Most of the others are saying it's not them. FFG is saying "we do not comment on speculation". ;)

Banshee16

First Post
I was sure I saw a company talking about it on these boards a few weeks ago.

It was a company that has mainly been known for miniatures, I thought.

Banshee

This is an excerpt from Robot Viking.

Several companies this week announced that they were not successful in their pursuit of the valuable Star Wars license from Lucasarts, including Paizo, Mongoose, Margaret Weis Productions, Steve Jackson Games, and Green Ronin. Mongoose reported that the license covers card games, RPGs and miniatures, and that the winning bidder is not a company known for making minis.

All the emphasis is mine - but it does thin the list a bit, we now know it is NOT Paizo, Mongoose, Margaret Weis Productions, Steve Jackson Games, and Green Ronin. The fact that Mongoose stated the license includes cards and minis and was bought by a company that ISN'T known for minis leads to the ...
Next excerpt -

Since money was one of the issues behind Wizards of the Coast declining to renegotiate the license, we can assume only the big players would have the finances to even have a shot. That leaves Games Workshop (a company certainly know for miniatures, ruling them out if Mongoose is correct) and Fantasy Flight Games.

Soooo...my money is on Fantasy Flight.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
My guess is not White Wolf based on the fact that them having Star Wars and their being owned by a company with a space mmorpg might be construed as being a conflict of interest.

Remove ads