• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Who else is going to be a deserter when 4e comes out?

Ranger REG

Explorer
Depends on WotC's timing.

I disliked 3.5e' early release (2003). While 3.5e made some improvements, overall it just didn't impress me that much.

If 4e comes before 2010, I will retire my RPG hobby without hesitation and sell/give away all my games. The videogame (or TCG) mentality have taken over the RPG industry. Sooner or later, we may see new editions of D&D coming every year, reaching two digits before 2020 ("D&D 14.0e").

delericho

Legend
I will almost certainly switch over to 4e on the day of release.

Barak said:
With that as a given, churning out a new edition with the only goal of selling books is.. Silly. What are they going to do? Obviously, change stuff around, meaning rules. But with the given that they -try- for the best when they make a new rule system, how can they keep making it -better-? At some point, you'd have to hit the pinacle. You can -always- make things different, but you can't -always- make things better.

I disagree. Unless something is perfect, it can be improved. And no edition of D&D to date has been perfect.

Barak

First Post
Well, I am basically already a "deserter" because I never went from 3e to 3.5. I did not see the need, nor the logic, of doing so.

Well that's where I am myself. And yet I still buy the occasional book, because the difference betweem 3.0 and 3.5 isnt that great.

Masked Otaku

First Post
Actually, I may get back into D&D when 4th is released.

I played 3.0 for 2 years after it was released and slowly drifted away. 4th may be what I need to bring me back to D&D.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Tarangil said:
I'm hoping it's a rumor. The last thing we need is to have Wotc tread D&D like Magic and come out with a new expansion every three months!!

2e lasted more than a decade. All the expansions and and stuff that came out for it enhanced it's versatility. I'd hate to spend more $$$ on buying more crap that won't work with the rules I do have.

Can you explain to me the difference between an expansion and a new edition? I don't think Magic has a new EDITION every three months.

Ranger REG

Explorer
delericho said:
I disagree. Unless something is perfect, it can be improved. And no edition of D&D to date has been perfect.
It doesn't have to be perfect, but it has to impress me. I was impressed by 3.0e overhaul of the game system. How will 4e top that? IMHO, it will be nothing more then a refinement.

Masked Otaku

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Depends on WotC's timing.

I disliked 3.5e' early release (2003). While 3.5e made some improvements, overall it just didn't impress me that much.

If 4e comes before 2010, I will retire my RPG hobby without hesitation and sell/give away all my games. The videogame (or TCG) mentality have taken over the RPG industry. Sooner or later, we may see new editions of D&D coming every year, reaching two digits before 2020 ("D&D 14.0e").

Well it depends how fast sales of 3.5 fall off. We may see it sooner than later.

drothgery

First Post
ob4eThreadRobot: I'll buy pretty much any RPG that piques my interest. So if my initial impression of 4e is positive, then I'll probably buy it eventually. If it's released too soon (and my definition of too soon really depends on how big of a change it is from 3.5e->4e), then I might delay buying it, but I'll still get it if it's good.

Remove ads