• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who is at fault?

shilsen

Adventurer
Crothian said:
This is off topic but wouldn't that NPCs also need to figure out the distances to know if they are in range? The PCs might only run 500ft but the NPC Wizard I doubt has any better idea for distances then the PCs. He might think they are out of range.
It's a kind of m-a-a-agic!

glass

(he, him)
Tewligan said:
-And lastly I live in Newark DE, where D&D is a religon. Being a good or bad DM matters more then anything else( looks, money, women, intelligence, what ever.)
I am willing to relocate and am very interested in receiving brochures on the job and housing market for this area.
Me too. Wanna share until we get settled? :D

glass.

Ghendar

First Post
carnanick said:
-And lastly I live in Newark DE, where D&D is a religon. Being a good or bad DM matters more then anything else( looks, money, women, intelligence, what ever.)

Methinks Newark takes its gaming a little too seriously if being a good DM is more important than women and intelligence.

Sounds like something out of a KoDT strip.

Atavar

First Post
Kind of off topic, but since it kind of came up....

I remember reading not too long ago of an optional rule that Monte Cook wrote about. Normally, a spellcaster selects an intersection of grid lines on the battlemant to be the center point of his spell. The optional rule is for the spellcaster to pick a square instead of a line intersection, and then roll 1d4 to randomly determine which corner of the chosen square is actually the center of the spell effect. That way, the range (and area) of area spells has a chance to be off by 5 ft.

For some this adds a little realism in that most people cannot pinpoint exact distances. For me, though, it's another dice roll to slow down the game.

As for the occassional realists in my game who ask how anyone can be so precise, I give the same answer whenever reality tries to intrude on my game: "It's magic."

Later,

Atavar

------

"Love is not a vict'ry march, it's a cold and it's a broken Hellelujah." - Hallelujah

Jaws

First Post
carnanick said:
-Was I wrong? I mean I did lose my cool and yell back, but really?
Yes it was your fault. You wouldn't be here bitching on a message board looking for justification if it wasn't your fault.

Chimera

First Post
Oryan77 said:
I always say to my players, "If my NPC's tried doing what you're trying to do, you guys would be arguing that they shouldn't be able to". And we all know that if our NPC's started backing up 600-ft the players aren't going to just stand there roleplaying a conversation...they'll demand we roll initiative before the NPC's even get to do a single full round move action.

QFT

This is a standard fallback, and very sadly, I've often had to use it on people who are themselves GMs and would never tolerate that kind of thing in their own game.

radferth

First Post
Is there some reason that a retcon is not acceptable? I always use that to correct any large miscommunication if it doesn't change erase any important events. In this specific case, I would have said (as DM) Alright, after you have backed up 30', the leader tells you to stop right there. Either that or let them revise their action when they realize how far they would have to back up. Many may sse the retcon (retroactive continuity, aka a do-over) as coddling players, but I want to kill them fair and square, not becase they misunderstood what I said, or because they overlook something that would be totally obvious to their characters.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Jaws said:
Yes it was your fault. You wouldn't be here bitching on a message board looking for justification if it wasn't your fault.

This is unnecessary and uncalled for. Don't post in this thread again, Jaws.

carnanick

First Post
Jaws said:
I can't decide if he's really funny or serious. Alternatively, I could NOT post on a message board and Always be right. Or is that a suposition?

Remove ads