• Highest AC

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Quietest (usually the rogue)

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Best at Hiding (usually the rogue)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Fastest

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • The rogue, just because he's the rogue!

Votes: 21 15.8%
  • Best fighter

Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 68 51.1%

Madfox said:
You forgot an option ;) :
* Somebody to find and disable traps (the rogue)

It's just that there are so many reasons to put the rogue up front that I couldn't list them individually.

I also should have put:
"somebody with uncanny dodge,"
"somebody with evasion,"
"whoever has the best reflex save"
"whoever has the best spot skill"
"the halfling, just because he is the halfling!"

But your point is well taken. Searching for traps is one of the best reasons to put the rogue up there, although he doesnt have to be the one who actually goes forward first, once the way has been searched. Not to mention that there are a lot of times when there is little reason to take the time to search for traps, though there may be reason to fear other things.

sellars

Explorer
candidus_cogitens said:

You mean you give gold to the monster??

In our campaign battling monsters is not as common as having to deal with humanoids of an intelligence such that they are suspectable to reason, but ofcourse when we have to deal with creatures that only act through force, we kick the sh*t out of it (quite literaly sometimes :D)

S

maddman75

First Post
It depends on the situation and what classes are available.

In the wilderness, first choice is a ranger, second choice is a druid. In the dungeon, first choice is the rogue, second the ranger. If we don't have any of those folks available, its 'whoever has the most hit points.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
None of the above.

The elven cleric with the robe of eyes, with the invisible halfling psion/rogue beside her.

Voadam

Legend
I put depends.

I generally want a scout in the front for traps and seeing enemies before they see up but I've also played the brick who says to the rest of the party "stay a few feet back there could be traps."

In the game I run, the assassin with an invisibility ring usually is asked to be and says he is in the lead, but he is usually 20 feet behind the rest of the party.

I was playing in one 2e game with this other guy who played a powerful evil character who had picked up a ring of contrariness. I had used charm person on him as a means of keeping him from attacking me straight out, but it had worn off but he was playing along to eventually catch me off guard (I guessed that had happened but I was playing along with his playing along, it was an intrigue heavy game made more intense by the fact that he was more powerful than I was in magical zaps). It was just the two of us and we wanted to explore a dungeon. So I said to him "all right, I'll take the lead" and then I started for the stairway leading into the dungeon. He thrust out his arm to stop me, puffed up his chest and said, "Hold on, I go first!" Then he got this sheepish look on his face and said "hey. . . damnit."

Sinistar

In our parties it is generally the Rogue's job to take point. He (or she) is backed up by the beefiest fighter. That way if something goes wrong, the meat is there to take care of it. We also ALWAYS have a fighter in the rear. Wizards/Priests are put in the middle of the formation.

Though if you are LOTR, aparently you put the Wizard in the front, the Ranger in the rear and your archer in the middle...

Garmorn

Explorer
In the city the cleric leads with the paladin close behind. They have the social skills and prestige to handle any problems/needs of the party.

In the wilderness or other dangous places we don't expect traps its the barbarian and/or the ranger. The barbarian has good hp's and uncanny dodge, while the ranger has spot and decent hp's.

Any where their migh be traps its the rogue backup by the fighter with the barabarian in the back.

The bard and wizard are always in the center where they can best be protected.

Seule

Explorer
If you have one, the Ranger. They can be sneaky, they can fight, they can spot stuff coming, and they can track. Just being able to say that everyone who has been down a hallway has travelled along the right side right here enables you to avoid half the traps, if you are smart. Tracking is underestimated in many games, I think. You can get a lot of information from it.
If you don't have a ranger, you may have to make do with a Rogue or Monk, and if you expect combat the tank might be your best bet. The Ranger, however, is perfect for the job. Combat and skills, how can you lose?

--Seule

Valicor

First Post
When I play I have found it to be more selfish reasons by people. There are those who will sometimes take the lead in hopes of gettign the treasure first. And sometimes there are those who are affraid to be hhit by a trap or monster.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
In our party the rogue leads (for trap checking), followed by the half dragon fighter, then the cleric. In the rogue's way of thinking, if he encounters something he can't handle (usually everything it seems) he can jump behind the fighter and beg the cleric to heal him. The druid, all three wizards, and the psion bring up the rear in about that order. Attacks from the rear? We don't worry about it. ;)

(Mostly because our second tank fighter, which would be me, the cleric, has no ranged weapons, so would be useless if the front of the party got into a hairy battle. Besides that, I wouldn't be able to heal anyone from that far away.)

Remove ads