• Highest AC

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Quietest (usually the rogue)

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Best at Hiding (usually the rogue)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Fastest

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • The rogue, just because he's the rogue!

Votes: 21 15.8%
  • Best fighter

Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 68 51.1%

alsih2o

First Post
lesson learned? NEVER include depends in a poll on enworld. we are a fickle group, always looking for the maybes on the true/false test of life :)

I was going to ignore this, as a "marching order" is something I haven't really cared about for years in any game I've played. However, today is a really slow day at work. :D So, on the rare occasions when we do have a "marching order" of some kind, who we send up front has a lot to do with the situation at hand. I couldn't pick which of the options we'd use, because we'd use any of those depending on what we were expecting to see.

Last edited:

Sanackranib

First Post
who leads

generally the rogue indoors (traps) or the ranger outside (traps/ambushes) could be the priest if you expect undead or the tough fighter if a battle is expected. I had to go with the depends on the situation choice.

The Kender

First Post
Kobold Cleric
Halfling Sorcerer
Half-Orc Bard
Elven Archerer

Here's how our Initiative usually goes:
1) Bard casts Mass Haste, then Cat's Grace on the Archerer
2) I go into full defense and stay in front of the Sorcerer, and healing people if needed
3) Archerer fires arrows over our heads at enemies
4) Sorcerer tosses a fireball

Numion

First Post
Usually the Cleric, because he can take the most punishment. Protection from Elements (all elements), death wards and such give plenty of endurance..

Quickbeam

Explorer
In the game I'm running, it seems that the party employs the following system to determine lead position in the "marching" order:

-- Normally, in clearly hostile territory, it's the best melee fighters up front. Both because they can deal loads of damage, and also because their heavy armor lowers movement rates and this keeps them theoretically closer to the action at the outset.
-- A scout is employed when going through the woods (ranger or rogue) or when trying to sneak about (rogue and occasionally bard).
-- The rest of time, it's whomever has become the most impatient and decides to forge ahead heedless of danger :D!!

Sanackranib

First Post
marching order

Quickbeam said:
In the game I'm running, it seems that the party employs the following system to determine lead position in the "marching" order:

-- Normally, in clearly hostile territory, it's the best melee fighters up front. Both because they can deal loads of damage, and also because their heavy armor lowers movement rates and this keeps them theoretically closer to the action at the outset.
-- A scout is employed when going through the woods (ranger or rogue) or when trying to sneak about (rogue and occasionally bard).
-- The rest of time, it's whomever has become the most impatient and decides to forge ahead heedless of danger :D!!

You have gotta respect that last bit!:rolleyes:

Remove ads