• Highest AC

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Quietest (usually the rogue)

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Best at Hiding (usually the rogue)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Fastest

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • The rogue, just because he's the rogue!

Votes: 21 15.8%
  • Best fighter

Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 68 51.1%

Endur

First Post
Dwarven Defender leads

My Dwarven Defender is in front when our party is traveling in a dungeon.

Highest AC, Highest HP, High Saves, etc. Also high offensive melee output.

I don't have trap detection (other than stepping on them), but the other characters in the party only have one or two levels of rogue, so we're not likely to find a trap even if one of the rogue-types was out in front.

Also, although the rogue types are sneaky, when the party contains heavy plate types and sneaky types, the party itself is not sneaky unless the party splits up. And splitting up is a recipe for disaster.

Tom

Bhaal

First Post
I agree with the situational approach. Typically we put the tanks in front, but mostly because our DM throws ambushes at us more than traps. And after our party grew vary fearful of the DM's oft-used phrase, "Ok, who's in the back?", we now put the barbarian at the back. First off he's perfect for deflecting rear attacks (particularly sneak attacks) and secondly if the fight is coming from the front, people can clear the way and he gets to charge and power attack.

Bastoche

First Post
Sure there's the hiding part, but there's also the "we won't get ambushed" part.

Highest spot/listen check is the most important thing for the front man if you want to go unnoticed.

If your sneaky guy sneaks past the sneaky ambushers, the ambushers will hear the loud party on the back...

Dr. NRG

First Post
Often the monk goes first. He has high saves, decent HP, evasion, movement galore, and a decent chance at moving quietly.

Otherwise, it depends whether combat is imminent. If so, a druid with a turtle shell works, or a more traditional fighter type. If not, it goes to the hider/sneaker/searcher community.

Remove ads